Author Topic: Reduce wealth by a lot  (Read 5186 times)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Reduce wealth by a lot
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:50:55 pm »
Imho Underrail has the same problem as many other RPGs have, which is that it is far too easy to get rich.
My suggestion would be that base value to sell should be reduced by at least 50% or even more. Likewise money gained from quests should be reduced by a similar amount. To compensate for people who want to play with the Mercantile skill should get better returns at higher levels.

Kind regards

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce wealth by a lot
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
Unfortunatly you cannot do that.

The Devs decided that a good idea was to have severely restricting carry weights (mostly because some items are ridiculously heavy) and that merchants would only buy a certain amount of items from a certain type of items.

The result is that if you lower the value of the items then you'll just end up not having money, not because you don't get the items to sell, but because the merchants just do not buy in enough quantity... that and carrying them all becomes a huge problem as well.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »
Not that discussion again.
Reducing the sale price of items by another 10-20% would just reduce the amount of money you have, it wouldn't change anything about the gameplay because that's just excess money.
Unless you need to create every single item from super steel.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:15:11 pm »
Imho Underrail has the same problem as many other RPGs have, which is that it is far too easy to get rich.
My suggestion would be that base value to sell should be reduced by at least 50% or even more.
As long as the merchant system works like it currently does, please no, because it would mean just dragging more and more junk to the vendors and waiting for refreshment.

Something needs to be done to the vendor system, but the solution is not reducing the value of items. Maybe the vendors could be even more specific on what they buy, but would only refresh their inventories when the story progresses or something like that. Time based inventory refreshement is prone to a lot of savescumming and tedious waiting. Some games have sell-only vendors, which I think is pretty fine.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:06 pm »
Not that discussion again.
Reducing the sale price of items by another 10-20% would just reduce the amount of money you have, it wouldn't change anything about the gameplay because that's just excess money.
Unless you need to create every single item from super steel.

This. Prior to melting the coins I'd be dragging 8 stacks around instead of 10. Big deal. I think the current system is just fine. What I would love to see are more opportunities to spend/invest the money like custom player housing with purchaseable interrior. Maybe add working prostitution too lol.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
I have no problem with quantity of items that merchants can buy, I have problem with quantity of money they have.
Often I still can sold something to them, but they have no money already. )
Repared weapon and armour cost a lot.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:14:59 am »
I've experienced the same Fenix. What I do is: If the merchant runs out of money but I still have goods to sell and need nothing from his inventory, I simply buy all the blueprints he has. I consinder them as a type of currency. They're valuable, super light and many vendors want to buy them regardless of type.
I actually wish the merchants had LESS money. ;)

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 11:50:41 am »
The only RPG I encountered where enemies dropped almost the exact gear they use and the economy was somewhat challenging was Risen. In that game vendors buy items for 90% less than their value.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:03:46 pm »
I always buy bullets in such case. )
Thanks for tip about blueprints. )

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »
S'pose a system like Metro would work, where bullets are the money.^^

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:49 pm »
S'pose a system like Metro would work, where bullets are the money.^^
That depends on your definition of work. Bullets are abundant in the game as well.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:34 pm »
Yeah, but in metro the old world bullets are rare and significantly more powerful.
When in need, you can fire money.