Author Topic: UI suggestions  (Read 2553 times)

Frank

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
UI suggestions
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:18:28 pm »
I'd like to have an option to turn off the "bump up item" the inventory does. I want to organize all the items on the "All" like I want so I won't have to go to specific pages to find what I'm looking for. If I put an item in the bottom corner I'd like it to stay there even though there is an empty space between it and the other items.

I would also like an "All non-quest items" page. That's obviously not a big deal if the first suggestion is implemented.

An option to increase the "split stack" bar. Even better an option to type in how many stacks you want to split.

Bartering having a value indicator on each side. I'd like to know exactly how much my side is worth compared to that of the trader's.

An option to store items in containers or item piles by double-clicking, same way it works with traders.

Inventory should automatically close when you finish or cancel a transaction with a trader.

Kendov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: UI suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 02:23:00 am »
I'd rather necro than post the same stuff again, so bump. Furthermore:

1) Option for numerical input for split menu? Especially with large stacks, I often have to split multiple times because the slider doesn't stick on just the number I want.

2) Make new stacks appear next to the original stack. Nothing bothers me more about splits than scrolling down to the end of the list for my new stacks.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »
I think those were asked before especially numeric input.

Here's a fresh one

Add an option to allow - and = to be used in the quickbars, for 2 extra slots on most keyboards.
Hell it's even a SS2 reference with how the weapon bindings worked in that game, so you know you want to.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:05 pm »
I think those were asked before especially numeric input.

Here's a fresh one

Add an option to allow - and = to be used in the quickbars, for 2 extra slots on most keyboards.

Good idea. And zero too (but this is probably old as well).

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:20:23 am »
Besides functionality I would not mind a light upgrade in looks. Think Fallout for example something along the lines of that fitting for UR.

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:56:09 pm »
Some changes to hacking and lockpicking could save a lot of unnecessary clicks and time. The main one being why can't you simply right click a locked container/shaft cover and get a hack/pick option? Having to open the inventory, find the tool, right click it, and then click the target seems unnecessary. Even moreso for the omnitool which requires an additional click, even if there is some reason for having to select tools, the omnitool could just be context sensitive and lock/unlock hatches based on their current state. We already have the relatively long countdown for these actions so the additional overhead of UI manipulation seems unneeded.

An additional big one would be an option to right click in-combat and get an action list (or something with a similar effect), doors/bodies can be a huge pain in the ass in combat when you want to move onto a body, or are trying to target something behind a door, either requiring pixel hunting for a spot where you can manage to click the floor/target, or if you're unlucky accidentally looting a corpse/interracting with a door and potentially having to reload because it messed up the fight. If "Action List" doesn't quite get the point across, I imagine a situation where a target is behind a door, so you can just right click their outline and get a small dropdown with the options "Attack $target" and "Close Door".

Kendov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:27:29 am »
Some changes to hacking and lockpicking could save a lot of unnecessary clicks and time. The main one being why can't you simply right click a locked container/shaft cover and get a hack/pick option? Having to open the inventory, find the tool, right click it, and then click the target seems unnecessary. Even moreso for the omnitool which requires an additional click, even if there is some reason for having to select tools, the omnitool could just be context sensitive and lock/unlock hatches based on their current state. We already have the relatively long countdown for these actions so the additional overhead of UI manipulation seems unneeded.

An additional big one would be an option to right click in-combat and get an action list (or something with a similar effect), doors/bodies can be a huge pain in the ass in combat when you want to move onto a body, or are trying to target something behind a door, either requiring pixel hunting for a spot where you can manage to click the floor/target, or if you're unlucky accidentally looting a corpse/interracting with a door and potentially having to reload because it messed up the fight. If "Action List" doesn't quite get the point across, I imagine a situation where a target is behind a door, so you can just right click their outline and get a small dropdown with the options "Attack $target" and "Close Door".
I agree with the situation sensitivity/on-object options, but you do know that you can just drag tools to the hotbar just like skills, right? I usually have lockpicks and hacks on 9+0. However I agree that it would improve things a lot if those things were automated, same for pixel hunting. Especially objects hiding behind walls are terribly tricky sometimes when you can't see lower obstacles there.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 12:39:22 pm »
[...]pixel hunting. Especially objects hiding behind walls are terribly tricky sometimes when you can't see lower obstacles there.
Tab to highlight things.  Once highlighted, your cursor will "stick" to the item even if you move the cursor slightly into an area that would have otherwise been blocked by the environment.  There are a few places where it works poorly, though.

The problem with automating tool use is that it takes away (or makes more difficult) player choice.  Maybe you want to use your MkIII lockpick on a door; maybe you want to save it, and instead equip your Jackknife or eat a burger to boost your Dex, instead (well, now that food is so much more expensive, maybe not the second option so often).  By making the player choose, the player automatically gets that choice.  Don't want to blow 15 energy every time you open a door with that MkIII Haxxor?  Carry a plain one as well; but then how does the auto-choice work?  If you use the last juice from the MkI, does it then say you can't open the next easy door?  Or does it automatically use the item you don't want to use?

UI design is difficult largely because there are so many ways people can want to do stuff.  I don't honestly see how you could streamline hack/pick and still let the player have full control over all the options the game presents.

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:42 pm »
To solve this issue you would have the right click option always use the most basic tool at its disposal, e.g. if you have a MKII and MKIII and can unlock with the MKII, it will use the MKII. To warn the player in case they run out of charge on their more basic Haxxor, simply show the tool that will be used in the "unlock" button in the right click wheel. Any more fiddly options outside of this like equipping the Jackknife and eating food would be left outwith the automated system. The only thing I'm wanting phased out is having to dig in your inventory for the most basic hack/pick lock actions, and this would still simplify things for people juggling the jackknife or scoffing food.