Author Topic: Some thoughts after finishing Early Access content  (Read 8800 times)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts after finishing Early Access content
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 06:24:55 am »

I disagree on the level-scaling.

I find that Fallout and Might and Magic are good examples of how you can make an interesting experience without it. Imagine late level fights with rats in Fallout if they are scaled up - just would not make sense. I think Fallout2 was a good example of a game where the difficulty starts out quite tough, then becomes 'just right' from level 6-14 where after you basically start becoming over-powered and fights are too easy (except perhaps Enclave random encounters). Now, if Underrail could somehow improve that to make late levels challenging as well it would be awesome (as I think was alluded to by Atchodas).
But level scaling? No, to me it feels natural that people should have a hard time in the beginning no matter which enemy you fight (low health, poor skills) but that basic enemies should of course gradually become easier. Of course, you can always place tougher versions of those basic enemies in later areas...

Absolutely agree with you! Strongly against level scaling. with it you have no sense of character progress in game world, which make a game just a schizophrenic's bad dream.
We all remember how it was done in Fallout - usual rat, something thougher, and mutant rat, who is 5 times deadlier then usual rat, and Super Mutants too.
But we should rememeber that not every creature should have such creature variability, or all that start to resemble JRPG brrrrr.

Player characters have 1.5x more natural health than NPCs of same con&lvl. And easy mode gives you even more HP, so I figured removing the extra HP could be a good start for hard mode.

Isn't a 50% loss of a HP a bit rough? ???
Just calculate how much HP 25-lvl 3-Con char would have on Normal, and how much without 1.5 multiplier?
Anyway I understand it's just estimations. )
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:30:32 am by Fenix »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:08 am »
Btw, I'm reading RPGCodex topic about SitS, and found some "Atchodas? there, is it you sir? )))

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:12 am »
Removing the multiplier would be a 33% reduction in life.
There's been various suggestions to make the game harder so far.
Sides health, there's overabundant income cited relatively often.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »
I played whole EA with 3 Con , early game was tough as expected but after midgame i had more than enough con , tbh more than i expected to have with bare minimum of points in it . More than that i actually never ran into problems due to low hp ( well maybe except sniper 1shoting me at the train but yeh.. i didnt had the shield on ) . I guess we will see extra hp removed for hard mode :D

Fenix : Yup , thats me , Underrail thread in 'dex guided me to this game :D that hundred pages of praise :D i usually dont do early access but after reading that thread i felt that i am not gonna get burned and i surely wasnt , now we just need to spread the word about how good this game is so it gets publicity it deserves to secure future expansion/dlc/sequel w/e
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:46:10 pm by Atchodas »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »
Yeah, game rightly deserve it.
I did all updates on one Russian forum, but was banned there due political reasons so last post there in Underrail topic dates back to December 22, 2014, sadly.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
Oh right. Forgot to comment on the quest thing. I do absolutely agree.

The places further than 2 screens away from any populated areas are only filled with rathounds and warhogs. But most of all ZERO content to explore.

I would like to see more quests, or any kind of content.(that is... for the lack of better example, like Evelyn's personal laptop. Notes, diaries, strange sights, etc.)
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 04:00:22 am »
Yeah, just saw it yesterday, after figured out that popamole is that guy from Nerd Commando lol.
Also those reasons were related with that shit that goes on at Ukraine, because owner of site\forum has U... origin, so it's not "sounds very russian", it's sounds pretty U... (don't even want to write that rotten word) because a freacking censorship there.

Sorry didn't found something similiar to spoiler tags. :-[
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:09:36 am by Fenix »