Author Topic: Investing in traders.  (Read 3992 times)

mrzjadacz

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Investing in traders.
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:11:01 am »
It makes me angry, that merchants buy only small amount of my junks, but they shouldn't buy everything, it would be silly.
I have many piles of coins, some players are good in mercantile too. Maybe we should get options to increase trader's capabilities?
Three small addition:
1. With high mercantile skill, traders buy more items. Basically someone buy 2 firearms. With 50 Mercantile, he buy 3, with 100, 4 ones.
2. We can give them money as investment. Then they sometimes give us some money and restock faster/buy more/have better quality items. Not all of them, only independent merchants from Junkyard, Hathor, maybe Core City etc.
3. Someone who buys almost everything, in any amount, but for lower prices.

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Investing in traders.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »
1-Already in, 2-Interesting and will discuss, 3- Traders that buy everything? No, just no. There is a ton of junk, and unless they feel they can sell what they buy, they got no reason to buy 'junk.' 

Investing in traders sounds interesting, though it should be rare and on par with some rather specific situations/quests. A possibility with every trader sounds too powerful, or perhaps just... well.  Let's look at it this way, how many people are going to just take free credits from some strange dweller?  Too good to be true in their eyes, and it will possibly be right depending on how the player handles things. Might seem like a criminal enterprise and player gets tossed into jail or out of CC for being an assumed front of a syndicate enterprise.  Or the trader just keeps the 'investment' and acts like it never happened when you ask about it in the future. Who is the lawkeeper gonna believe in most areas, the trader that helps their community survive or a relatively random under dweller saying he gave money to the guy?

Others are set up to handle investments rather well, perhaps having such options for the Armory in SGS. Maybe it is a cash investment and quest related help in ensuring they got new routes to get the new/better gear, and thus opening up the better tiers and quality of things after a little work and money instead of 'it just getting better' like it does now.  The trader that moves into the gang base (spoilery a little so withholding names) would be another perfect optoin for this. He's a visiting trader handling the gangs material needs. Gang has manpower and you can provide investment for better quality equipment. Maybe it takes a 'daily/weekly' tithe to keep it up. 

Anyway point being, with minor quest framework, can see all sorts of traders having a myriad of results from investing. Not all will have good results, but variety imo is spice that makes games like this even better. Who knows, maybe you'll inadvertently fund a criminal guild arising in a town and taking it over.....

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:30 pm »
Traders need to be a little more specialized to make finding them more interesting and worth the trouble. My suggestion is to add guaranteed or nearly guaranteed (like 75% 50%) on some of them and make someone to sell particularly good quality components of some specific kind, Traders are at the moment perhaps the least polished spot in the game. It's not a big deal, but would benefit from a little love.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:37:59 pm »
Traders at the moment are too RNG dependant ( which ofc can be solved by reloading but i dont think savescumming is good thing to rely on )
Also as somebody mentioned Smart Looting before : its the matter of how many times you are willing to go back to carry the loot . You still can carry 25 Assault Rifles at once without any problems .
Lets hope for some balancing and polish for this issue on release version . on Current playtrough i havent left more than 10~ crowbars on the ground and looted everything else and hoarded it back to the barrel near Core City Arena :D

Good idea would be for specific traders to always buy specific items + some random extra items , for example if every weapons vendor always bought 3-4-5-6 Firearms etc.etc. ( depending on where and who the vendor is ) at the moment you can bring 4 assault rifles to junkyard just to find out that the guy is buying Metal Armor  + 3 Riot Armors and nothing else .. i mean those are perfectly fine AR's why would he not want them .

Also i agree to 3rd point of OP to some degree , there should be some Major Vendor in Corecity who doesnt buy everything buyt buy's way more shit than others ( For example General Store guy in Core City always has 600 Stygian Coins and he never ever buys anything except 1 Belt 2 Bolts of Cloth and Bullets , annoyed me to the point where i traded items for bullets and brought those to him lol , he easily could be upgraded to the guy who buys alot of various things cheaper but not everything ofcourse which would make sense for a "general store" )
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:46:34 pm by Atchodas »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:52:58 am »
After I took a good part of two weeks to get over the headline sounding like another bit,  ;) I'd like to chip in just to demonstrate my support of this idea.
I don't think it will be done, Underrail is too close to release for notable features, but it's still a neat idea. Point 2, specifically.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

mrzjadacz

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:37:34 am »
We should can be able to invest only in some specific traders. That one in Rats base, guy from Eels/Scrapper after quests, Buzzer, maybe one or two merchants from SGS after Find merchants quest from Vera. It should be impossible to create one OP trading location, I mean you can't make every trader in Core City to has thousands of charons.
Every a few game-world-respawns we can invest some money and then trader have more money (maybe [10%+15% of Mercantile Skill] money taht we invested) every next time when we trade with him/her.
Sorry for gramma, but you should be able to understand everything.