Author Topic: Cannot start new game.  (Read 9993 times)

neonesis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Cannot start new game.
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:15 pm »
As in title - just downloaded UR, installed w/o problems, started the application, and after clicking "New Game", nothing happens. The button is still orange, the music is still playing, but cursor dissappears, and there is no disk or CPU activity. Window doesn't react to any keyboard or mouse activity i.e. nothing changes. Happens every time, regardless of resolution (first I changed it to 1920x1080, then stayed with the default, it didn't seem to save).

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
AMD E-450 APU
4 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6320 324 MB VRAM

I couldn't find a log file, is there any?

EDIT: Also, after around a minute or two, window goes into "Not responding" state, that's after trying to use keyboard or mouse (Esc, enter, space, mouse buttons, etc.).

EDIT2: It seems like running it with administrative rights makes it work. Do you create save file when you create a new character? If so, that's a file access rights problem for 100%. Maybe write saves in %APPDATA% ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:00:13 pm by neonesis »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot start new game.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »
Yeah, got a few reports of that happening. The save games (and the temp save game) are written in the installation folder, so that must be the problem as you suggested.

Jamesnight

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
I've got the solution, (sorry for bad english) you need to run the game with xp pack 2 compability

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »
I've got the solution, (sorry for bad english) you need to run the game with xp pack 2 compability
I think running with admin rights should be enough. Have you tried that?

Tessier

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
Windows 7 - 64bit

Game won't start unless run as administrator or in compatibility mode with XP

neonesis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:06:21 am »
Enabling compability mode activates the administrative rights anyway, and the rights are the problem here. Application simply cannot create files in Program Files without having special rights to do so. Even you cannot do it, without temporarily raising your rights to administrative.

David L

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:15:33 am »
hello also having troubles starting game.  Using a late 2008  mac pro boot camped with windows 7  ran the .exe file to install get opening screen and sound can apparently alter setting but when press start new game game freezes alsthough music still looped. having read forums tried in various compatability modes. With this I have no sound but character creation screen appears can fill it out but when click complete screen shows 'loading' then windows pop up appears to tell me program not responding.  I'm going to uninstall and redownload and try again but any further ideas welcomme thxs

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:19 am »
hello also having troubles starting game.  Using a late 2008  mac pro boot camped with windows 7  ran the .exe file to install get opening screen and sound can apparently alter setting but when press start new game game freezes alsthough music still looped. having read forums tried in various compatability modes. With this I have no sound but character creation screen appears can fill it out but when click complete screen shows 'loading' then windows pop up appears to tell me program not responding.  I'm going to uninstall and redownload and try again but any further ideas welcomme thxs
You did try to run with admin rights?

David L

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:56 am »
o.k  I now have the game running - I think I'm not enough of a windows expert as when I was reading previous posts re running as administrator I thought this meant being logged into computer as administrator. However I believe what everyone is talking about is right clicking the program and altering the properties for the game to administrator access.  anyway this is how I solved it.  as for the game now that I'm playing it's brillant and I'm looking forward more to exploring more and experimenting with character builds  thxs

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:21 am »
Good to hear you got it running and that you're liking it. :) Enjoy.

Lakstoties

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Best With Stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:47:55 am »
I can confirm the save location is the issue.  In Windows Vista and 7, the Program Files folders are read only to non-elevated (Not operating as admin) processes and users.  By default all users and processes operate under limited user permissions with only full control to their own account profile, unless the user invokes a process as an elevated process (What XP compatibility mode does) or the process tells Windows to prompt the user for elevation.

The user profile can be accessed with the system environment variable %USERPROFILE% .  A better location for any kind of data you need to write would be something along the lines of %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games for Windows Vista and 7 users.  You can use %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games for XP and previous.

I can't remember but there's a Windows API call to check for the OS version.  Depending on the language the game uses, you can catch the exception the CreateDirectory API throws to diagnose any problems with write access issues.
My random efforts:  http://www.bestwithstuff.com

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:58 am »
Yeah, I'll be fixing this issue for future releases for sure.