Author Topic: Dev Log #39: Housing; New Psi; Deep Caverns Preview  (Read 8616 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #39: Housing; New Psi; Deep Caverns Preview
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:42:51 am »
Hey guys, we've been a bit quiet lately, but that's only because we've been keeping our heads down and working hard on the last chunk of content for the game - the Deep Caverns. There's still a lot to do before we can show it in its full glory, but here's a little teaser screenshot below.

Also, we implemented player housing. Players will now get an old ruined apartment in Core City which they can fix up and furnish to their liking. Most of the stuff you can get for the house is just for show, but there is some useful equipment as well.

In other news:

• UI
    • Added Oddity catalog window that will show all the oddities you've collected and also how many oddity types you're still to find
    • You can now open system menu during the NPC turn (to load or exit the game or configure options)
  • Psi
    • Added the remaining nine psi abilities, three for each psionic school.
    • Psychokinesis
      • Electrokinetic Imprint - Places a hidden electrokinetic imprint on the ground that deals electrical damage and stuns the first creature to step on it. Only one imprint can be active in an area at a time.
      • Disruptive Field - Creates a disruptive field around the target that reduces their chance to hit with ranged and thrown weapons.
      • Implosion - Deals mechanical damage equal to a percentage of target's current health. This attack bypasses damage threshold and shields.
    • Thought Control
      • Psi-cognitive Interruption - Burns target's psi points, dealing damage equal to a percentage of psi burned and also applies psi inhibition which prevents the target from invoking psi abilities or regenerating psi
      • points.
      • Mirror Image Pseudo-spatial Projection - Projects additional copies of yourself in the immediate vicinity that travel with you. Each time you are attacked by a weapon or unarmed attack there's a chance that the attack will hit a copy instead, removing it. Machines and true-sighted attackers cannot be fooled by this mind trick.
      • Neurovisual Disruption - You disappear from the sight of the target, removing its ability to detect for 1 turn, and immediately enter stealth. Target also has its perception reduced by 5 and detection by 50% for 5 turns. Likewise, does not work on machines or true-sighted enemies.
    • Metathermics
      • Cryokinetic Orb - You launch a large frozen orb which shatters on impact, sending ice shards flying in all directions. Each shard deals cold and mechanical damage and chills the target. Due to shards fanning out, targets closer to the place of impact may be hit with up to multiple shards, while those farther away might not be hit at all. Each shard has 50% chance to inflict a bleeding wound that does additional 100% of the original mechanical damage done.
      • Exothermic Aura - Makes you immune to heat damage and generates flames around you and in your wake. Flame generation stops one turn before the aura expires, giving you the opportunity to flee your inferno.
      • Cryo-shield - Creates a number of frozen shards around the invoker. Each time the character suffers a melee attack, there's 50% chance that one of the shards will block some mechanical damage and be destroyed in the process.
  • Tweaks
    • 95% damage cap now only applies to mechanical resistance
    • Damage from flames reduced (includes firebombs and other sources of environmental fire)
    • Crawler AI improved
    • Destructable rocks can now also be destroyed with a jackhammer
  • Bugs
    • Flat dodge and evasion bonuses are now always reduced by armor penalty
    • Suppressive fire will now count as a slow for purposes of opportunistic attack
    • Inanimate objects no longer appear scared of fire
    • Mental Breakdown duration can now be lessened through resolve
    • Gun Rush status effect now has proper icon
    • You can no longer skin Azif
    • Rapid Fire feat description now correctly notes the cooldown
    • Metal strider boots will now also have stealth penalty like the leather ones
    • Fixed the bug that caused character to lost health from attacks that deal no damage when using items/feats that grant health bonuses
    • You will no longer sound like a tin man after dismounting the Dreadnought
    • Fixed the bug that caused auto-trade option to trade money for money
    • Burst attack will no longer consume an extra bullet

That's all for now folks. We still have work ahead of us with new content, some gameplay balancing and tweaking, and then finally polishing the game, especially the old areas. I know some of you are really impatient to get your hands on the final release, but please don't ask me for the release date. I don't know and I don't even particularly care at this point. All I can say is it will be out this year definitively! One thing that we do know is exactly what needs to be done, by each of us in the team, for the game to be all it's meant to be at the release, and every day we hammer away at it. So stay patient, dudes.

We'll drop the next dev log when we have more of Deep Caverns to show.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #39: Housing; New Psi; Deep Caverns Preview
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:00:10 pm »
Those Deep Cavern assets look great, much improved over the older cave ones.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »
 :o
Wow! Just wow!
Great update!
Deep Cavern screens look stunning!

PS When you guys will add map? )

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »
Also, we implemented player housing. Players will now get an old ruined apartment in Core City which they can fix up and furnish to their liking. Most of the stuff you can get for the house is just for show, but there is some useful equipment as well.

Many thanks for this cosmetic improvement!  It feels like a small thing, but this slice-of-life improvement helps the games immersion for one such as myself and hope it was not too difficult in implementing. It looks wonderful though I do wonder about what 'useful equipment' might be within...

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:24:31 am »
Finally a positive news after all those bots.
And what an update!
Psions sure are gonna be extraordinary tanks with those abilities. Still hoping for an option to influence dialogue with thought control, but heh, not gonna happen.  ;)
I also have to fall in with the others, the caverns look superb.
And they're actually dark.  :P
Beautiful! Looking forward to it.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 06:34:38 am »
That player house looks good. Hope the bar is not stocked with alcoholic beverages, though. After all, kids could be playing the game...

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:41:45 pm »
The bar is definitely stocked with alcoholic beverages. That's the point of a bar.  :P
If kids play a game in which you can drunk in the hopes of getting it on with a serial murderer, and kill people for money, then they'll just have to cope with alcoholic beverages.
Which they can, btw, buy in most bars.
  8)
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 02:54:17 pm »
Good thing about underrail its not gona be adapted for kids , womyn and other things seeking social justice. God bless developers who took their time but did the game on their own not owing anything to anyone .

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:03 am »
Love it! Oh I can't wait it! :D