Poll

Crossbow as a different Main Weapon

Yes
No
i hate crossbows

Author Topic: Crossbows should be changed to be a good Main Weapon  (Read 6735 times)

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Crossbows should be changed to be a good Main Weapon
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:43:31 am »
Hello,

i think crossbows should be changed so they can Perform as a good Main Weapon like Melee, Guns etc...Reason is you need a Extra Skill you must invest to use them.

In my opinion:

Pistols, Grenades and Throwing knifes should be a secondary Weapon but not Crossbows.

What do you think?

Greetz

VN

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbows should be changed to be a good Main Weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:43 pm »
I'm not sure if I can follow you here. The reason they have their own skill is so people don't use them as secondaries which would probably be the case if they were paired with other ranged weapons. From logical perspective it also makes sense to have them their own skill. Just because crossbows can be aimed as firearms it doesn't involve the same handling. A crossbow is simply a horizontally aligned bow with a trigger mechanism that holds the draw for the shooter. Projectiles fired from bow or xbow both have the same speed, energy and trajectory which declines faster than with firearms and therefore can't be shot as flatly.
The change I would make is have them penetrate thick vests by ignoring damage threshold. Despite being slow projectiles they are very sharp and don't deform like bullets on impact. Sledgehammers do the same now but for different logical reasons, they don't penetrate a vest but their weight transfers all the energy through. To compesate for this advantage I'd make crossbows generally a bit weaker.

They're still good right now. When it comes to balance compared to other weapons, think about it this way. What are usually the most annoying/dangerous enemies in the game? To me it's the crossbow and sledgehammer guys. Both hit hard, penetrate shields and can cause stun. If the AI can make a good use of them, you as a player are even more capable to do so.
There is no single weapon class in Underrail that I can say is absolutely inferior. Sure, balance wise the weapons are not 100% equal but this is not a MMO type of a game. The strength differences are never big.
This is also true for crossbows but they require a more effort and strategic approach then other weapons - crafting special arrows, traps and sneaking is a must. Quick tinkering and deadly snares is so good it's crazy.

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:03 pm »
Ok the Main Problems are as you say:

1) Crossbows must be better against Heavy Armors (Metal and Vests) and yes you True, i fear most too Crossbows/Snipers and then not like you Sledgehammer i fear next more PSI Characters that can costs you one Turn (Stun etc...).

Problems Crossbow NPCs later have (against me) that they often not hit me. In my Metal Armor Builds with Medium Shields i can ignore them complete and with high evade i can Risk to wait bevore i kill them. But in the first 10-12 Levels there amazing and i try most finish them first.

Snipers are rare atm as Enemys but they are later the only NPCs able to Finish you with one Hit if they Hit you.

2) Better Way for Special Munition...actual you must craft every Dart...better would be that you can craft a Pack of Darts like the Standard Darts AND that they can be used like munition from Iventory and dont need a Quickslot.

And dont forgot every NPC have only one battle in his lifetime...a player much more.

maxxbanana

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:42:13 pm »
I've been using them as a main thinking they were a main, oops.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:31:30 am »
The problems with Xbows is their damage being very low when you compare damage done vs AP cost. They have the special bolts which yes, they are interesting but the damage on regular bolts is still bad and you can't be throwing special bolts one after another non stop.

I see them mostly as a backup weapon because almost any other option is better... ive talked about this in the past but Some people seemed to think they were good enough a weapon for a main because of some special abillities making it slightly more viable. I disagree, oher weapons don't even need special abillities to be viable main weapons.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »
Problem is that there is no "noise" system so there is no value from firing crossbow over lets say AR Burst's , on other hand enemie's with Crossbows are the worst ones , way stronger than those who wield AR's , Xbow Enemies hit very decent with every shot even trough Steel Armor , and can CC/Poison you to oblivion , meanwhile AR guys does like 0 damage vs Steel Plates , also it seems crossbow has better range than AR ( talking from enemy perspective , they tend to get closer to me than the guys firing xbow )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:48:44 pm by Atchodas »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »
I'm reasonably certain Crossbow bolts do absolutely jack against good steel armour.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:07:39 pm »
Played a bit further into a game and i can say Crossbow Enemies are way more dangerous ( due to special bolts they use ) than common raiders with assault rifle , would rank them second after faggots who use PSI and can spawn doppelgangers every turn . Might be different from players POW , as my AR guy can kill 3-4 enemies in 1 turn and throw a flashbang to get another turn instantly

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:11 am »
Well, it depends.
As a guy with medium armour, crossbow bolt guys are annoying due to special effects, but not damage.
I normally kill guys with ARs or Sledgehammers first.
With strong metal armour, I think I would plain ignore crossbow enemies.
Prions do indeed need to go first.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 11:56:18 pm »
Well with Heaviest Armors its like this :
AR Guy 7x 0-5 DMG = Not a scratch
Crossbow Guy - 1x 10-40 Damage + Stunned for 1 turn and then they poison you on the next turn , they always shoot shock bolts first those fags ;/ , also the poison that stuns you after 2 turns could be annoying too but i got 10 antidotes anytime on me .
Also could add "Grenadier" enemy to must kill asap list those guys are crazy , can drop more grenades than player can in 1 turn ? Guy threw 3 at me 2 Damage ones and Flashbanged to end the turn  lol
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:59:27 pm by Atchodas »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:33:51 pm »
Oh, well, if your metal armour without thick skull, then I guess special bolts could be a problem.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »
I'm reasonably certain Crossbow bolts do absolutely jack against good steel armour.
Rathound King agrees with You after critting me for 8 damage.