Author Topic: Carry weight & inventory management  (Read 21435 times)

Immortal Wombat

• Noob
    • View Profile
Carry weight & inventory management
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:26 pm »
Firstly, love the game, it's scratching my Fallout itch excellently. Or at least it was.

I reached a point in game where I was heavily encumbered and now I'm faced with a situation that just made me stop playing. I have to either get rid of loads of stuff or spend ages carting things back and forth to my locker.

I've actually spent longer trying to fix this annoyance than I have playing the game, I wouldn't normally bother the creator of the game with stuff like this but I've tried everything in my ability.

Cheathappens is out of date, using cheat engine to freeze the inventory weight or raise the carry weight is beyond me, there are no console commands, there are no cheat codes, the save files are in moon speak and there is no editor.

I fully appreciate that adding inventory weight management is a design choice, however there are always going to be people like me that love the entire rest of the game but HATE HATE HATE inventory limitation and will do anything to avoid it.

I implore the creator(s?) to add some sort of relief to the game, or an option, or a console command, anything. I've seen people talk of some sort of mule/cart/linked container system (steam tubes?) and that would be excellent, but I appreciate that takes time to code.

I won't be playing the game until I've found some way to deal with this issue and I really want to play it. I feel like there are probably lots of others in a similar situation.

I shouldn't have to say this but if you're not the creator and you're going to post here saying how I'm not playing the game properly as if this affects your life in some way then please get mental help. It's not healthy to care about how others want to play the game ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:58:39 pm by Immortal Wombat »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Carry weight & inventory management
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:26:49 am »
I would recommend checking threads that Elhazzared has posted in.
You are sure to find at least five other topics to the same end. I do believe most everything has been said, though. We'll see.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:43:59 am »
And what's worse is that you start getting encubered even with a 10 strenght character, 30 minutes into the game. It's a problem of many items being ridiculously heavy.

But that isn't the whole problem, I'd tell you to wait until you saw how you couldn't ever sell everything, you keep hauling stuff and it just keeps acumulating more and more because of the vendors limits. But then again you already stoped playing so yeah.

Sadly styg wants to stick with this design decision. He said he might add an option to remove these limits very long ago, but something so simple and quick to do hasn't been done yet so I've lost the hope in that. So my hope, and your's too I guess, is that after it comes out someone releases a mod to make the game playable.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:20 pm »
Just disassemble all these sladgehammers, man. :P
Items that worth less that 1000 didn't worth it to hassle with them, maybe in the very beginning, so all usual knifes (without electroshock), footwear, usual sledgehammers, almost all leather armour didn't worth it to drag it back to merchants.
"DISASSEMBLE IT BABY!"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:19:57 pm by Fenix »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:04:36 am »
I belive we've had this conversation. I don't need the scraps it gives me. I don't need the tons of kits it gives me. I cannot sell all the kits it gives me. It's not like disassembling will change anything.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:58:33 am »
I actually like the system. There are a few things that could be tweaked, but the basic decision not to let people empty the caves of all stuff and turn them into money pleases me. It's a chore in most RPGs games and seen so many times, You're well off doing the quests and occasionally selling extra stuff.

A little tweak would be ability to sort your inventory by item value and weight so that you could quickly see and drop heaviest items and keep the most valuable.

Maybe we could see the toughest enemies carry a little more coins so that you don't need to drag their stuff around to cash your kills but you could profit straight from assassinating them. This should apply at least to these boss-like characters Balor and Ratking but why not generic tough guys too. It makes sense that if you're tough enough to survive under the rails for years you will accumulate some capital on the way.

Once you have enough money to get by you don't need to worry about maximizing your incomes.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:07:46 am »
Yes but then what is the point of exploring? Why would I explore if there is no loot to be gained? I mean sure the loot is there but I cannot carry it all and een what I can carry I can't sell. On the same note, what is the point of doing side missions? Even the main quest alone is going to give me more than I can carry and more than I can sell amount what I can carry and that alone is more money than I will probably need anyway.

Selling loot is not really a chore, what tends to make it a chore is the limited amount of items you can carry breaking your immersion by making you stop what you are doing and going to sell, if instead you had a limitless carry capacity you cold finish the mission, sell the junk, keep what you want and move on to more exploring and side quests.

The problem isn't limited to the carry system and merchants limits but the economy as a whole. The previous system had economy problems already where everyone agreed there was too much money and now the problem is even worse. More to the point with this carry and selling system there is actually no way to fix the economy of the game.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:14 am »
Gathering money is not the goal of the game.
We had that discussion already, indeed.
Nothing anyone says will change your option, and probably not mine, either, for I love the atmospheric choices; This is as much a fictional world we're exploring as it is a game, and I want it to be believable.
We just have to agree to disagree.
I'm not arguing against some mod that changes things, but the horse has been beaten so many times by now...
What I'd like to see, however, is items on the ground disappearing after some time, scavengers maybe.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:13 am »
Yes but then what is the point of exploring? Why would I explore if there is no loot to be gained? I mean sure the loot is there but I cannot carry it all and een what I can carry I can't sell. On the same note, what is the point of doing side missions? Even the main quest alone is going to give me more than I can carry and more than I can sell amount what I can carry and that alone is more money than I will probably need anyway.

Selling loot is not really a chore, what tends to make it a chore is the limited amount of items you can carry breaking your immersion by making you stop what you are doing and going to sell, if instead you had a limitless carry capacity you cold finish the mission, sell the junk, keep what you want and move on to more exploring and side quests.

The problem isn't limited to the carry system and merchants limits but the economy as a whole. The previous system had economy problems already where everyone agreed there was too much money and now the problem is even worse. More to the point with this carry and selling system there is actually no way to fix the economy of the game.
I don't have enough money to melt it all to super steel as I would like. :D Plus exploring and scavenging gives the possibility of finding better quality components for better armor and weapons.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »
Exploring gives the possibillity, albeit unlikely to find something better. Which can probably be negated very easily by going to a shop until late game where shops hit the limit of quallity stuff they give you and you can only get better if you either find it or craft it... Not that you'll need it I'm sure. So exploring is still pointless.

Unlimited. You want realism, while I've explained that realism takes a backstep when balance is concerned, let me give you just a little bit of realism. Why would the character go out of his way to get in harms way just to scavenge or do a side mission when he is already so rich he could buy half of the entire underrail? Much before this point is reached the chracter would think. I have a lot of money, i can just retire anywhere, not have to risk my life anymore and enjoy all the luxuries that the world, such as it is, has to offer. That is what would be realistic and yet it's not really how it goes is it?

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
Well, there is a limit to suspension of disbelief, but it's not that low.
Honestly, when I got that quest to find the Bakers, I spent 5 hours doing so, on the side annihilating the Iron heads because I suspected they might be there, all without a promise of reward.
I sure didn't do it for money, but out of curiosity and to help some people, like the helpful person I am. That I still get way too much money is something I definitely agree on, and there needs to be a balance found given the abstraction that we don't need to pay for food and wounds heal within minutes. This is not the matter of this thread, though, and I'm sure Styg knows of it.
And even if it's not perfect, I still play the game, I just think certain suggestions would make it worse. If we had a magical bag of holding, whatever, really.
Or a drone that picks up stuff and sells it to the nearest junk merchant.
I wouldn't even be bothered by merchants buying excess at 10% the value, because why wouldn't they?
But being able to carry supplies for an army on your lonesome, that's just something I believe I need to stave off while I can. I believe that picking up only what you need is a sort of game mechanic, and the biggest problem is that the rest doesn't disappear.
As for what shops give: I consistently have never found armour even remotely as good as what I can craft on any merchant after I've reached around level 10, on any character in a good year or so. Maybe just my luck?

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 06:06:26 pm »
Maybe the packrat feat could be improved so that it gives unlimited carrying capacity. The explanation could be for example that you always find people to carry your stuff. That would make the feat relevant. Currently no one will pick it.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
True, but the problem is that early on you really need to pick other perks that actually help with combat. packrat would be useful but would similarly be a dumping perk, one you get when you don't have anything better, much like medic (or whatever it's called the one to always let use bandages), it's good but really there are a lot of priorities before that.

The biggest problem with the carry weight is actually the inbalance in the weights of items an abillity to carry. Even on a strenght 10 character it feels like you can carry nearly nothing. You do first mission, get the loot and look at the carry weight and think, oh pretty good, I can actually carry some stuff. Then you do the SGS which isn't that big a place and you can't even loot it all because metal armor and sledgehammer (just 2 examples, there is more) weight a ton. Sure it makes sense from a realistic point of view. But from a gammy point of view it just makes you feel like you can carry nothing even on max starting strenght.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:48 am »
The only, I stress it, only problem exist - it's that merchant don't have enough money.
He still can buy my stuff, but he haven't money already.

How? I just DISASSEMBLE various junk, like sledgehammers, ASSEMBLE repair kits from it, repair all expensive stuff, then sell it.

Your problems just doesnt exist for me.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 08:05:41 am »
Let's count how many problems there is with that.

You'll make a lot more repair kits than you can use or sell.

You'll have to waste points in crafting.

You'll lose more money since it's more lucrative to sell the items outright in most cases.