Author Topic: Recklessness and Expertise in the Same Build  (Read 6037 times)

Ginazi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Recklessness and Expertise in the Same Build
« on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:26 am »
Hello, I think I've made a mistake levelling up - I've picked Recklessness at level 2 and now I've selected Expertise at level 4.

It seemed to be a good idea at the time, but after the fact I've realised that these two feats might not work together very well:
expertise works only on normal hits, while Recklesness reduces the number of normal hits, replacing 7% of them with critical hits, right?
So I won't be able to use Expertise as well as I could had I not picked Recklessness.

I still have a hard save from about 30 minutes before picking Recklessnes. What do you guys think? Should I replay this segment and choose another feat? Or can these two feats actually complement each other?

I'm aiming for an assult rifle/heavy metal armor build.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Recklessness and Expertise in the Same Build
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:31 am »
I think they work good together.
Experise empower usual hit, while crits already had x2 damage.
i just don't like Expertise because there is better feats, at least for melee.
But for smg e.g. it is good choice, for assault rifles too I think, but I have no experience with them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:56:09 am by Fenix »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:04 am »
The flat bonus damage goes really well on weak guns with a high firerate.
It's worth it even with ~10-20% crit due to your regular hits occasionally getting through a targets armour.
Still, it depends entirely on what weapons you plan on using, and what your focus is otherwise.
If you go for, say, Plasma Pistols, Expertise isn't worth it anyways.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Ginazi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:26:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm planning on using assault rifles, but right now I'm using handguns/SMGs, because I haven't found any more powerful weapons (or blueprints for them, the same applies to armor BTW, I really wish I could get even the most basic and weakest heavy armor) thus far (I've just finished quests for Big Bret).

Ginazi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:06:55 pm »
Ugh, seems I have made another stupid mistake, this time related to skills.

I've picked up armor sloping and levelled up mechanics hoping that I will be able to craft some nice metal armor.

What I forgot was to level up tailoring as well and now I can't seem to find even a basic vest with no tailoring requirements so that I can craft a suit of metal armor. I've levelled up persuasion instead, which seems to have been another mistake, since I've got low will (only 3). Will persuasion be useful at all with such a low will? I'm seriously considering restarting the game.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »
You can always eat Junkyard Surprise, get +2 Will and be fine.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 08:21:53 pm »
Armor sloping isn't even that useful and I always skip it on tanks.  You're better off just going 95% encumbrance as an assault.

I can only see it being useful on a sledgehammer build to eke out a few more MP on heavy armour.

As for tailoring, keep in min, you can dump as many skill points into a skill as you want per level, it just can't exceed level*5.  Need 40 tailoring?  Level up once and dump it all in there.

Ginazi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:30:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I think I will stock up on Unpleasant Surprise and maybe try to level up tailoring now instead of chemistry.