Author Topic: Unresponsive menu buttons  (Read 4938 times)

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Unresponsive menu buttons
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:03:32 am »
This behavior started in the 0.1.13 alpha: I was able to start the game, but in the moment in which I would open the Load Game or New Game screen, all the buttons became unresponsive. They made no sound when clicked and no action followed. This applies to the Cancel and Load Game/New Game buttons.

I thought installing the latests alpha would fix this, but the bug is present in 0.1.14 as well.

I am guessing this has something to do with .net libraries required by the game. Could I get a list of all the things external to the game that I need to have installed?

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Unresponsive menu buttons
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:08 pm »
I've installed the XNA 4.0 refresh from the link you've provided.

Then I updated my .NET Framework to the latest 4.5.2 version.

Reinstalled the game, still no effect. On the load game screen, the Load, Cancel and Delete buttons have hover effects but do nothing when clicked, and in the Rules screen, after having pressed "New Game" none of the buttons can be hit. The only way to exit the game is by alt-tabbing or alf+f4.

I'm installing the game from gamersgate.com, which indeed runs both XNA and .NET installs after the game's installation.

I'm at wit's end by now. Anything you can suggest?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:06:08 am »
Could you try running this program before starting the game:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Then after you click those buttons a couple of times and close the game, send me the log it generated.

Thanks.

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:10:59 pm »
Could you try running this program before starting the game:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Then after you click those buttons a couple of times and close the game, send me the log it generated.

Thanks.
I just logged in today to try out epeli's latest suggestion and I spotted your post. It was very interesting to learn about this utility. Here is my log. Thanks a lot :)

Additionally, here is the full list of Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables and XNA Framework versions I have installed. Copied from my Programs and Features control panel applet:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - x64 9.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - x86 9.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable - x64 11.0.60610
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable - x86 11.0.60610
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable - x64 12.0.21005
Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0
Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 Refresh

Could it be that I need to uninstall the x86 versions? My CPU is 64 bit.

Removing my config.dat didn't solve the issue btw, but when I started the game a new config.dat wasn't generated. I suppose it's generated once a new game is started? I also noticed that I was able to use the interface elements like checkboxes and dropdowns in the options, but the Accept/Cancel buttons still wouldn't do anything when clicked.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:24:56 pm by Random Hobo »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:19:05 am »
Uninstall both of these:

Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0
Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 Refresh

And then only install the latter ("Refresh" version) from the link epeli provided earlier.

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:23 am »
I just did as you advised. No change in the issue though. Should I send a new log?

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
I uninstalled all x86 versions of the C++ redistributable. No effect.

Could you give me directions on how to uninstall the game and wipe out all trace of it from the harddrive and registry. I'm thinking of trying that, reinstalling, and if it doesn't work, I guess it'll need a reinstall of windows, but then we'll never find out what the problem was.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »
Once you uninstall the game, the only remaining stuff is in Documents\My Games\Underrail.

I'm curious, though, once you followed my suggestion, did you again end up with two XNA versions installed?

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 01:55:15 pm »
Once you uninstall the game, the only remaining stuff is in Documents\My Games\Underrail.

I'm curious, though, once you followed my suggestion, did you again end up with two XNA versions installed?

No, no, I uninstalled both, then installed from the link, although I had installed from the link the previous time as well.

Random Hobo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 05:35:38 pm »
I found the reason on my own, and completely by accident. It was my left-handed Razer mouse. :)

After I bought it and installed its drivers, a bunch of games started think I want to play with my mouse buttons switched, although I hadn't changed my settings in Control Panel, or in the Razer Synapse software. So I went to the Control Panel and switched them there.

Underrail isn't affected by the setting in the Control Panel though -- whatever I choose there, it still takes left clicks from the right button and vice versa. I wonder if there is a way to fix this on a per-game basis from Razer's software (Synapse). I'll give that a try.

So all this time the game has been registering right button clicks on the buttons. That must be the reason why the checkboxes were clickable while the buttons were not.

I've had this happen on a couple of other games, but switching the mouse buttons from Control Panel fixed the issue everywhere.

Needless to say, I feel quite stupid now :)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:08 am »
Hehe. Glad you got it working at long last. :)

I guess XNA doesn't account for these settings.