Author Topic: Steadfast Aim requirements.  (Read 2652 times)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Steadfast Aim requirements.
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:55:28 am »
Does this feat really have to ask for 6 str? Before it asked for 5 and i already felt like being forced to raise my str.

Now pistol builds need more str than sniper rifles.
That's just one point less than Full Auto.
No pistol have any str requirement, not even Hammerer, but suddenly there's a pistol feat asking for 6.

At the same time we have Concentrated Fire. I can imagine it needs high STR to counter that recoil.
But how much STR does it ask for? Zero. Big fat zero with a slash through it. It wants PER instead.

It makes harder to find points for raising INT so i could try all those new cool crafting feats. :'(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:34:06 pm by hilf »

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Steadfast Aim requirements.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:34:48 am »
On that topic, there are some other feats with dubious requirements.

Disassemble seems a bit high for a feat that more often than not is just for convenience, preferably it should have no requirement.
Thick skull as I've said is critical if you don't want to reload against potential stuns, forcing any prolonged combat oriented player to get 10 con.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:56:39 am by Greep »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:22:45 am »
Honestly, I did start several chars, among them a 10 con tank supposed to wear metal later. I haven't picked thick skull as of yet; As far as I understood, con already reduces your chance to be stunned, and I expect to have enough resistance to survive 2 turns of stun per combat.
I actually wonder if Doctor is still a good feat, I kind of expect to never drop below the threshold where I can't use normal bandages; Maybe fast metabolism would have been preferable to go with a regenerative vest.

I can agree that steadfast aim is a bit questionable, not because 2 stat requirements are irresponsible, but because strength and dex is rarely ever taken together, so you'd spend several statpoints more or less only for that feat.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »
Here's a full list of stat requirements that got changed in 0.1.14 for the curious:
- Hit & Run (added 7 agi)
- Special Tactics (added 6 int, dex 5 -> 6)
- Steadfast Aim (str and dex 5 -> 6)
- Quick Tinkering (dex 6 -> 7)
- Uncanny Dodge (agi 7 -> 8)
- Cut-throat (dex 8 -> 10)
- Snipe (per 8 -> 10)

Many other feats also had their skill requirements tweaked, either significantly increased or dropped from level 2 to level 1 feats.

For the most part I think there's nothing wrong with these. The str requirement on Steadfast Aim is just fluff, like dex/int on Special Tactics. I suppose their purpose is to limit extreme stat minmaxing and push builds towards certain directions.

PS. Thick Skull is not necessary. How would all the non-psionic build have survived without it so far? It just makes 10 con characters even easier to play - as if the huge hp pool already didn't make them forgiving enough.
Of course stun is major bad news, but so can be immobilization and flashbangs. (Welp, heavy armor tanks can get immunity to those as well simply from equipment.)
Then on the other hand, sometimes you can survive even 2 turn stuns on evasion/dodge specced 3 con glass cannon. Hell, even multiple 2 turn stuns during the same fight.

Well sure, that's why I specified prolonged combat.  I guess you can technically sometimes survive stuns. but not in a mob anyways.  I guess my point is that making thick skull 10 con pretty much wipes out any builds in the 6-9 con range, since it's an obvious feat to take at high con.  And since con is pretty uninteresting, it forces characters that are tough to be tougher but kinda boring imo.

Heh, riot shields.. don't make us laugh ;)  Honestly I don't think it's that riot armor is bad so much as melee isn't generally that dangerous.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:28:34 pm by Greep »