Author Topic: Dev Log #5: Improving Crossbow Play  (Read 17868 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #5: Improving Crossbow Play
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:44:44 am »
    One of the common complaints in the demo, and one of the things that I personally wasn't very happy with, is how the crossbows were playing out. Using crossbows as primary damage source was practically impossible, so I've taken some steps to bringing the crossbows up to par with firearms and making them a viable alternative.

First of all I've increased base damage of crossbows, so their straight up damage per turn potential is now about the same as 7.62mm pistols (which is another weapon class with 2 attacks per turn). Originally I kept the crossbow damage lower as I wanted to emphasize their special bolt attack strengths, but I went a bit too far there and they ended up being too weak, especially in the early game before the player could pick up any special bolts. Also, because crossbow attacks already incur more of mechanical damage resistance (125%) and have no way of overcoming that in regular attacks (no armor piercing rounds) there is no need to penalize them further by assigning them lower base damage.

The second problem was a lack of multi-target special bolts, so now I've added two of those. They fulfill similar roles but in different ways.

• Shock Bolts - These bolts inflict additional electrical damage to the primary target, stun it (works on machines as well) and then jump to nearby targets dealing smaller chunks of damage (no stun on secondary targets) in similar fashion as strikes from Shock Sledgehammer.
    • Incendiary Bolts - These bolts deal heat damage to the target and have a chance to set it on fire, dealing more heat damage over next couple of turns (and, of course, panicking the living targets), but the bolt also burns everything it comes near on its flight to the primary target, dealing smaller chunks of heat damage. Keep in mind that this bolt is doubly useful against enemies that fear fire (such as rathounds).
    As for the price and drop rate of these bolts, that's something I'll have to fine tune through testing.[/li]

Both of these type of bolts can also be crafted if you have enough skill points in electronics or chemistry respectively.

And the last thing I've added is the Special Tactics feat which gives you the ability that you can activate while you're out of combat to make your next special bolt attack cost no action points. The point of this is to give crossbows some burst potential in fights that you initiate.

I hope you guys like these changes and that they'll get more of you trying out crossbows in the future.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:48:53 am by Styg »

MetaSieg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #5: Improving Crossbow Play
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:31 am »
I'm really liking the sound of these special bolts. Crossbows are getting some much needed love.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:20:56 am »
Yeah! That is some change that I like!

Exploding bolts would be cool too. And like I wrote (like before) about potential for special damage should be fully utilized. I'm mainly talking about special shots targetting limbs (I know there are already such skills, but weapon differentiation would be great - like greater chance for such skill to apply or even a tiny chance to condition appear on it's own, which could give crossbow different flavor from guns).

These are of course only suggestions, but I'm glad that work is still being done as I'm afraid that the forum is slowly dying.

mercy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »
Good, powered up crossbow.  Maybe add a warhammer-style crossbow into which PSI users are able to channel their psychic energies. The bolt unleashes a deadly charge on impact [into the victims body], causing more damage to monsters or stunning people. 

This warhammer-style crossbow is quite mundane in the hands of non-psi users of course. Only gets powered up, glowing with a blue light and crackling with psychic energy in the hands of psi-users.

Also one use of this crossbow could be Vampiric Channeling - upon successfully hitting the enemy the projectile instantly establishes a psychic link through which the attacker is able to suck out the life-force of the victim: like in the movie Life Force.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089489/

Tnoyce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:56 am »
Very, very nice.. :)

Glad to hear they're getting some attention.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »
Yeah! That is some change that I like!

Exploding bolts would be cool too. And like I wrote (like before) about potential for special damage should be fully utilized. I'm mainly talking about special shots targetting limbs (I know there are already such skills, but weapon differentiation would be great - like greater chance for such skill to apply or even a tiny chance to condition appear on it's own, which could give crossbow different flavor from guns).

These are of course only suggestions, but I'm glad that work is still being done as I'm afraid that the forum is slowly dying.

I don't see a reason why crossbows specifically would be allowed to target specific limbs? As I mentioned already these sort of things will be available through special attacks, most of which will be available to crossbows as well.

Exploding bolts are something that I'll probably add at some point, it's just low priority right now as there are already grenades and mines in the game.

I wouldn't worry about the forum, I think it's just that people have played and provided feedback on all there is in the demo. I'm sure the things will pick up once the new version is released. ;)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:10:34 pm »
Good, powered up crossbow.  Maybe add a warhammer-style crossbow into which PSI users are able to channel their psychic energies. The bolt unleashes a deadly charge on impact [into the victims body], causing more damage to monsters or stunning people. 

This warhammer-style crossbow is quite mundane in the hands of non-psi users of course. Only gets powered up, glowing with a blue light and crackling with psychic energy in the hands of psi-users.

Also one use of this crossbow could be Vampiric Channeling - upon successfully hitting the enemy the projectile instantly establishes a psychic link through which the attacker is able to suck out the life-force of the victim: like in the movie Life Force.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089489/

You do know this is sort of a sci-fi game, right? :P

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:00 am »
Fair enough I guess - my suggestions were just to further differentiate crossbow players from ones using guns ;). Little passion of mine, as I used them in demo and got my ass kicked.

mercy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
Your game is good as you design it. There are too few games like this. The last one - sort of indie-ish, not known world-wide - i remember was Neuro Hunter from Mediaart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro_Hunter

I wrote a review of this excellent sci-fi RPG at the time.
Screenshots:
http://hardwired.hu/g.php?idgs=469&img=9197
Review:
http://hardwired.hu/art.php?id=29

nockeer

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:48:43 am »
Crossbows should have another one advantage over firearms - level of noise. I hope that using crossbows instead of firearms will have advantage in stealth playing style :)