Author Topic: Request Supersteel Quality  (Read 10319 times)

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Request Supersteel Quality
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:52:04 am »
Sooo... I just spent 3000 charons for a 62 crafting difficulty supersteel piece when my character has 92 effective mechanics (85 natural).  I'm just going to drop it on the floor.

It technically has a use as armor plating, but at that cost for a single piece I was hoping for something I could use as a main ingredient.  The difference between it and a tichrome reinforcement of the same quality is 1 extra mechanical resistance and 2 less heat, so it's basically the same thing.  Not to mention it is outright worthless for weapons crafting at that quality.

So it would be nice if either

A) Crafting difficulty of material received = effective mechanics (so 92 here), with a maximum based on level

or

B) Crafting difficulty = your choice, with higher quality costing more charons.  Give a set of dialogues letting the player choose a charon amount and crafting difficulty (shouldn't make them infer it from quality xD).  Example:

2500 (80)
3000 (100)
3500 (120)
4000 (140)
etc..

With the upper limit being based on the upper limit of vendors based on your character level (so for my level, about 110/100 quality/difficulty?)

On a related topic, I've noticed it's.. not even that great.  I've only tried metal armor, however.  Comparisons of similar quality armors without reinforcement

Tungsten steel (60 diff):

strength req: 9
Major resistances: 61 mechanical + 26 heat + 28 energy = 115 total
Mech and Energy: 89
Armor penalty: who cares

Tichrome (63 diff):

strength req: 8
Major resistances: 43 + 37 + 55 = 135
Mech and Energy only: 98
Armor penalty: 55

Super (62)

57 + 23 + 50 = 130
Mech and Energy only: 107

It's very slightly better than tichrome when you consider only mechanical and energy (and slightly worse against grenades).   When you consider you can make alloys by using different ingredients or rearranging armor (tichrome armor with tungsten helm + boots, or tichrome armor with tungsten reinforced plating), the only advantage is the actual points which is isn't so great, and a teensy bit of armor penalty.

Edit: after doing the exact math, it is pretty good, but again, only considering equal qualities  >:(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:58:38 am by Greep »

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Request Supersteel Quality
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:38:49 am »
Totally agree with you. 3k charons for this sh**t?! 3k is not small sum for chars who are not investing points in mercantile or/and pickpocket.
Ordered 3 plates for 9k... Not receiving yet(it was late night have no time for wait) but if this is true than there is no point in this.

I understand Styg's plan/style - every material must be unique in the some way and worthless but some "rare one" will not hurt.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:29:28 am »
My guess is he just randomly generates one based on merchant tables.  Foundry merchant ranged from 55-100 steel, so the 60ish wasn't unexpected.  At a merchant you can use crap tier metal as reinforcement or spikes or whatever and pick the highest as the main, but you can hardly do that when it costs 3k for a random quality -.-  You could get 5 <70 qualities on a bad day...

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:34 am »
Foundry merchant ranged from 55-100 steel, so the 60ish wasn't unexpected.
From Leniel(? name) you can easily buy 110+ steel/Tungsten/Tichrome and you don't need 3k and waiting for every one.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:49:23 am »
Super steel quality ranges from 70 to 160. You just got unlucky and that's part of the game. ;)

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:04 am »
Hah, didn't realize I literally hit rock bottom of a very wide range, guess that explains a bit :D

Still, is this really the best way to go about it?  I'd think anything that encourages savescumming isn't can't be good :/  Especially considering the only limit to money in this game is how many merchants you want to run around selling junk too heh.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:19:50 am by Greep »

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »
Oh man  :o.My next test play through is definitely going to be unarmed character wearing infused siphoner leather everything.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
Hmm... After getting a few more cruddy chunks.. I have to say it would be nice to have any sort of gaurantee of a high quality piece.  I'd rather pay 9k charons for one 140-160 piece than risk 3 pieces of trash :/  While the randomness sucks for armor crafters, it's a whole other level of suck for weapon crafters.

Edit: Also, I think I'm using this 57 CD one into a set of bear traps xD

Edit: yeah this is getting stupid fast, I've got 3 70ish quality pieces -.-  I'm save scumming the next batch even if it means half an hour wait.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:30:38 pm by Greep »