Author Topic: Dev Log #38: Version 0.1.14.0 released  (Read 22356 times)

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #38: Version 0.1.14.0 released
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »
- acid bolts are kind of crap (compare with acid pistols or acid bullets)
- tranq bolts are kind of crap (compare with cryo pistols, cryostasis, mental breakdown or high ql pneumatic strike)
- shock bolts are kind of crap (compare with electroshock pistols, shock bullets or electrokinesis)
- incendiary bolts are kind of crap (compare with incendiary pistols, incendiary bullets or pyrokinetic stream)
- all poison bolts are kind of crap (compare with poisoned throwing knives)
PS. Styg, you promised explosive bolts years ago! And now you've got the mechanics for them in explosive bullets. ;)

What?!

Are guns supposed to completely replace xbows?
I don't have much problem with chemical pistols as they needed some more love, but those bullets ...
I bet there are cryo bullets as well.

Each caliber got a special bullet type in the latest update. They're crafting-only and so far their blueprints are very rare.
You can check them out at the wiki's ammo pages, http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=5mm_Shock_Round

JHP and W2C rounds also got buffed, from +25% dmg to +40% and from -50% resistance to -65%.
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character build tool: underrail.info.tm (thread)

Mindless

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 07:06:42 AM »
So... seems like supersteel might be a bit too hardcore, finally got a 150 quality and a 130 quality after 7 tries ;)
Whoos is it kickass when you reinforce it with tichrome.
Nice one!   8)
Yeah... I might have to implement some diminishing returns there. Being completely immune to mechanical damage sounds a bit too op. :)
That's never was the hard task with tung steel oO
Even Energy+Mech(with full set of metal boots, helmet and body armor) was possible with right combination of different "steel's" of high quality(110+)
But crossbows? They really have become the weakest weapon class over time. Last time they got love was back in 0.1.5.0.
Crossbow now is generally dump weapon with some weak feats.
All, yes, all bolts are crap. Sad but true =(
JHP and W2C rounds also got buffed, from +25% dmg to +40% and from -50% resistance to -65%.
I think W2C must be nerfed again) They are too cool %)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
Hotfix 0.1.14.2 released:
  • Blitz feat and ability description fixed
  • Player's damage resistances capped at 95%. Some re-balancing will be done in the final version to prevent certain armors from being too OP, but for now this will at least prevent players from becoming invulnerable to mechanical damage
  • Various minor dialog and map fixes

Mindless

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
Hotfix 0.1.14.2 released:
  • Player's damage resistances capped at 95%. Some re-balancing will be done in the final version to prevent certain armors from being too OP, but for now this will at least
Noooooooooooo!  :'(
Bye-bye "Heavy Metal" armor build?

P.S. More advantages for light-armored guys! =P

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »
95 is doable :D  Was worried it'd be 90 xD That would've been harsh.  Incidentally, just cleared the fort so :P :P :P

Fenix

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
Maybe crossbows can be cheap and readily available source of debuffs?
Something like bleeding+MP+AP reduction (with right bolt of course).
Like supersteel bolts with serrated\jagged tips, that have armour piercing effect, descreasind damage resistance, or treshhold?

Also, can we have a quest way to get some unique materials in very limited quantity?
Or devices, or weapon, or chemicals.
For me - it's much, much more attractive and interesting way to obtain something.
It's post-apocalipsis, after all.
Lots of places that were centers of power, abandoned military bases, scientific facilities.

For materials it could be like some kind of automated furnace for smelting (powder metallurgy or something like this), so you should first fix it, then power it, calibrate, find raw materials.
Just an example.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:05:18 PM by Fenix »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
Also, can we have a quest way to get some unique materials in very limited quantity?
Or devices, or weapon, or chemicals.
For me - it's much, much more attractive and interesting way to obtain something.
It's post-apocalipsis, after all.
Lots of places that were centers of power, abandoned military bases, scientific facilities.

For materials it could be like some kind of automated furnace for smelting (powder metallurgy or something like this), so you should first fix it, thaen power it, calibrate, find raw materials.
Just an example.

One word: Supersteel. ;)

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
We were talking today how to improve crossbows, most likely we will add more poisons with unique debuffs, from a gameplay aspect its not so bad that crossbows aren't that effective against robots, but yes they are a bit lackluster compared to other weapons. (While testing i had a build with throwing knives and 250 effective throwing skill, doing up to 300 raw crits, at first styg was like well that needs some nerfing, but still having that much throwing is still a niche, crossbows have some nice feats, maybe they get some more interesting once but don't take my word to much to heart)
Would we have a more complex system for stealth and sound, crossbows would have a good place for stealth builds, but that wont happen in underrail, maybe some other project in the future.

Fenix

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:40 PM »

Nope? Isn't it some kind of trader, who sell to you something?
I have heard 3 K sharons involved.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:05:41 PM by Fenix »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
from a gameplay aspect its not so bad that crossbows aren't that effective against robots
Awww, now we know there won't be big bad faceless robot surprises in Deep Caverns. ;)

Would we have a more complex system for stealth and sound, crossbows would have a good place for stealth builds, but that wont happen in underrail, maybe some other project in the future.
I've probably said this before, but the stealth system in Underrail is already the best isometric RPGs have ever had. It's actually so damn good, it made me wonder if the combat system would be better in its original real-time form - even though I usually loathe RTWP combat! And you all have done a great job on map and enemy encounter design to keep it fun with the current system. </fanboy moment>

Getting super steel is exactly what you described - a quest way to get some unique materials in very limited quantity, some kind of automated furnace for smelting (powder metallurgy or something like this), so you should first fix it, thaen power it, calibrate, find raw materials.
It's all connected to certain quest and certain huge furnace you probably have already seen and fixed in older versions. Charons are the smelting material, since they're made of super steel.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »

Talk to the guy standing next to gloria at the foundry after finishing the beast quest. (using supersteel infused leather in crafting gives special abilities depending on the item crafted and what leather you use)

Fenix

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
Awww, now we know there won't be big bad faceless robot surprises in Deep Caverns. ;)

;D yeah, devs must act like criminals on interrogation. )

Getting super steel is exactly what you described - a quest way to get some unique materials in very limited quantity, some kind of automated furnace for smelting (powder metallurgy or something like this), so you should first fix it, thaen power it, calibrate, find raw materials.
It's all connected to certain quest and certain huge furnace you probably have already seen and fixed in older versions. Charons are the smelting material, since they're made of super steel.

Well, it's not quite actually what I described.
I meant a slightly different situation - an old abandoned place, where you can get trough various obstacles: live - gunblazing or fangsnapping, dead - mad security bots (or on the contrary reasonable, intelligent and you can become friends later), natural kind - flooded tunnels, collapsed passages etc. Also material better be really rare and unique - something like you can get a canister here and a few - there, and if you have some very high stats - like mercantile, or Will, or raw Strenght, you can get even more.
But we can hold it for Underrail II: Empire strike back. )
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:24:02 PM by Fenix »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
What a pleasant surprise.
And I was already wondering how I'd spend the two weeks till busy time after my vacation.
This sounds great.
Now we only need a feat or two for drugs, think Witcher 2 or the Flask nodes in Path of Exile or... ah hell, no need to steal from others. ....edit: And a Blood Magic equivalent.  ;D
As for Shroomhead, maybe a buff to PSI/Stun/etc. resistances when near shrooms and after eating one?
The icon somehow reminds me of the trance upgrade in Alpha Centauri for unknown reasons.

Btw, does expertise really grant +1 damage for every hit per level?
So with specops etc, I can fire a full magazine per round at at least +20 damage per bullet?
0.o

As for resistances, is it too late to add diminishing returns?
As in, resistances above 80% are scaled so you'd need 110% resistance (or whatever value is balanced) to reach real 100%, and then still cap it at 95%?
It slightly lessen the impact of high resistances on the likes of crossbows.
And how does Stoicism work with resistances atm? Additive?
You could adopt the PoE terminology, where multiplicative is more/less and additive is increased/reduced.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:27:14 AM by UnLimiTeD »
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
Yeah expertise is pretty crazy for smgs atm, although with the assault rifle's concentrated fire, ARs remain best on heavy armor builds.  Stoicism is almost definitely the same type of reduction as conditioning, don't know why it would be different (additive with feats/abilities, feats/abilities multiplied with equipment)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:08:35 AM by Greep »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
What a coincidence, I just did a bit of SMG testing.

Of course I'm testing ridiculous extremes (why bother with anything less? :P), so I went with 16+1 dex, two Muzzled 5mm SMGs, Spec Ops, Blitz and Expertise.
You get up to 9 bursts per round with blitz and adrenaline (4-5 bursts for "normal" turns after that since you have to sacrifice a burst every second turn to reload both SMGs), 7 bullets per burst, 63 bullets per turn. 1575 dmg from expertise alone in a single turn. On enemies with no mechanical resistance, you can deal about 3k damage in a single turn.

Not a good or even a practical build, but hilarious nonetheless. Keeping your weapons fed isn't so funny, though. Not the slightest chance of ever having enough W2C/JHP for a single turn.

Assault rifle builds are much better for practical gameplay, and then there are amplified energy pistols with crit power... 0.1.14 did a lot of crazy things.

edit:
And how does Stoicism work with resistances atm? Additive?
You could adopt the PoE terminology, where multiplicative is more/less and additive is increased/reduced.
I also like PoE (Path of Exile, not Pillars of Eternity!) terminology for that particular reason, everything was very clear. But it would not all that useful for Underrail. The various multiplier stacking mechanisms aren't like PoE's.

I might be wrong about all this, so hopefully Styg reads this and corrects me if so.

Here's how it works: Different effects stack multiplicatively. Multiple sources of same effect stack additively.

And in this case, there's just two different types of effects: resistances (armor) and reduced damage taken (stoicism, conditioning, lifting belt, morphine, modifiers on certain armor types, etc).

So if you're at <16% health (21% stoicism), have lifting belt (10%), have conditioning at 15 con (20%) and take morphine (50%), you are immune to mechanical damage.

Other examples:
Hypertoxicity (increases poison damage you deal) and cave ear poison (increases bio damage target takes) - different effects
Opportunist (increases your damage) and Vile Weaponry (increases damage target takes) - different effects
Bone Breaker and Vile Weaponry (both increase damage taken by target, although one is damage-type specific and the other not) - same effect
etc.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:00:12 PM by epeli »