Yeah... I might have to implement some diminishing returns there. Being completely immune to mechanical damage sounds a bit too op.
It has been possible to get >100% mechanical DR for the longest time. It's often been mentioned in forums, I thought you knew of it.
This is outright broken. While changing it keep in mind that fast melee weapons and xbows increase mechanical DR by 25% so even 80% DR is enough to negate all of their damage. Well, i didn't actually tested it but this is what description suggests.
Let's talk about the other aspect... enemy resistance. There aren't any completely immune enemies (after all, generated armor pales in comparison with high quality crafted stuff), but encountering 93-95% resistance is fairly common when your weapons incur 125% DR.
Poison bolts are the only reasonable way to kill heavily armored organics with xbows.
Dreads? Impossible, your weapon would break before they do.
It's not a huge problem for fast melee since shock melee weapon damage scales with quality, their DPS is much higher (or at least used to be!), and finally they have an alternative tied to the same skill.
But crossbows? They really have become the weakest weapon class over time. Last time they got love was back in 0.1.5.0.
Some things to consider about their role:
- with the new special bullets and chemical/energy weapons, they lose to guns in versatility (which was supposed to be the key point of crossbows)
- yet they deal much weaker mechanical damage (W2C -65% res vs incurred +25% res)
- AND have moving/melee penalties similar to assault rifles
+ low impact speed for shield penetration is great on paper...
- ...but ends up being a gimmick with little real benefit. Anyone can use EMP grenades and the crossbowski often has access to EMP traps as well.
The way things currently are, mechanical damage tends to always be the main component in crossbow damage, despite its limitations. If you encounter something with more than 66% base mech res, it's either poison bolts or skip the fight.
It might be a good idea to make special bolt secondary damage scale with crossbow skill or otherwise tweak them. Pretty much all other options outperform them in one or more ways:
- acid bolts are kind of crap (compare with acid pistols or acid bullets)
- tranq bolts are kind of crap (compare with cryo pistols, cryostasis, mental breakdown or high ql pneumatic strike)
- shock bolts are kind of crap (compare with electroshock pistols, shock bullets or electrokinesis)
- incendiary bolts are kind of crap (compare with incendiary pistols, incendiary bullets or pyrokinetic stream)
- all poison bolts are kind of crap (compare with poisoned throwing knives)
PS. Styg, you promised explosive bolts years ago! And now you've got the mechanics for them in explosive bullets.