Author Topic: Dev Log #38: Version 0.1.14.0 released  (Read 19176 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #38: Version 0.1.14.0 released
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
So does it make more sense to upgrade strength to use full auto, or dex to make the actual bursts cheaper?  :P
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Mindless

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
So does it make more sense to upgrade strength to use full auto, or dex to make the actual bursts cheaper?  :P
Dex for SMG's and STR for AR's =)

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:53 AM »
Full-auto is no-brainer for assault rifles. There aren't many reasons to use SMGs if you have the str for rifles. And if you have a max dex build, you probably can't afford the str.

Commando is also much better for assault rifles since their bursts are much stronger (higher base damage, muzzle brake, full-auto, concentrated fire) but they get less of them. SMGs really don't need that one extra burst, they already have too much.

Muzzle Brake on weapon is a no-brainer for both.

Rapid Reloader is also excellent, but I figured it would be too much for my particular build. (Read: I couldn't find any and didn't want to start savescumming.) If you have max dex and blitz, you could get too many bursts, up to 11 per turn. Normal 5mm SMG magazines can only handle 8 full muzzled bursts without reloading or 10 with XM.

I honestly thought max dex SMG character would've been totally out of line with expertise and muzzle brakes, but I guess not. Barely doing a third of the damage/AP certain other builds can do, with easy-to-resist small numbers of mechanical damage, and at unsustainable ammo cost. It's still stupidly powerful compared to what the same character could do in previous versions though. Expertise about doubles your damage, muzzle brakes are a 40% increase on top of that and Blitz got me 2 extra bursts.

Ammo availability (and magazine capacity to a lesser extent) keep high dex SMG builds in line very nicely, no matter how many bursts you can get per turn. Vendors couldn't keep up with my ammo demands before, now they haven't got the slightest chance.

In conclusion, SMG Expertise builds are surprisingly balanced even when taken to their extremes.

PS. Blitz sucks with the limited conversion. Any character meeting its 10 agi requirement will have more MP than it can use. ???
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character build tool: underrail.info.tm (thread)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »
And how does Stoicism work with resistances atm? Additive?
You could adopt the PoE terminology, where multiplicative is more/less and additive is increased/reduced.
I also like PoE (Path of Exile, not Pillars of Eternity!) terminology for that particular reason, everything was very clear. But it would not all that useful for Underrail. The various multiplier stacking mechanisms aren't like PoE's.

I might be wrong about all this, so hopefully Styg reads this and corrects me if so.

You got it right and here indeed I use similar terminology to PoE - resistance and reduction. When character is hit (let's ignore shields and blocking, it's not relevant), the damage is first reduced by resistance (or threshold if that's more effective) unless it's meant to ignore resistance (poison). After that, it's modified "damage taken reduction" (which can also be positive causing you to take more damage); and this happens regardless of whether the attack ignores resistance.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
Will critical Power and heavy weight stack?
And does Heavy Punch now have a minimum cost of 8?
Edit: And does Rapid Fire count as a single attack for the Gunslinger Crit boost?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:50:08 PM by UnLimiTeD »
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

captainmeow

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

It stacks with sharpshooter so I see no reason why it wouldn't with heavyweight.

hilf

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »

Assault rifle builds are much better for practical gameplay, and then there are amplified energy pistols with crit power... 0.1.14 did a lot of crazy things.

When reading changelog i was under impression that Styg wants everything to be ultra powerful now.

But then he nerfed fast melee ... and Blitz.
Too bad SMG bursts are not affected by new minimum attack AP cost.

Yes.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:19:40 PM by hilf »
Don't waste time on Underrail.

Use speedhack.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:27 AM »
Edit: And does Rapid Fire count as a single attack for the Gunslinger Crit boost?
Yes. Critical power increases your critical damage bonus, no matter where it comes from.
Yes.
Gunslinger doesn't have crit boost, did you mean Steadfast Aim? If so, read the feat description. It is based on the weapon's base AP cost.

When reading changelog i was under impression that Styg wants everything to be ultra powerful now.

But then he nerfed fast melee ... and Blitz.
Too bad SMG bursts are not affected by new minimum attack AP cost.

That's exactly the impression I got from testing some builds. I guess there's at least one more balance hotfix coming for this version. I'm guessing some of the strongest offensive options will be toned down and psi pool or regen will be tied to Will.

PS. SMG bursts are affected, too :P It would now be possible to get AP cost 3 with SMGs.

hilf

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 05:05:48 AM »
PS. SMG bursts are affected, too :P It would now be possible to get AP cost 3 with SMGs.
Hmm, i don't think i understand... unless Styg have listened to the crowd and lowered min AP cost to 3.
Don't waste time on Underrail.

Use speedhack.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:46 AM »
Hmm, i don't think i understand... unless Styg have listened to the crowd and lowered min AP cost to 3.
All attacks (not just melee) are capped at 4 AP, so it also affects SMGs. You can't get a burst under 8 AP. Without the limit, you could get 3 AP normal shot -> 6 AP burst.