Author Topic: A "Flag as Junk" button would solve some minor sorting irritations  (Read 1999 times)

Termy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Good afternoon. I have been enjoying this game for quite a while now. The improvement on the very early versions is spectacular, to say the least. I do have one very minor issue which has remained since the earlier builds. I have only had a quick glance through the forum, so this may have been mentioned in the past (in fact, it almost definitely has) but I couldn't see it anywhere.

One of the few annoyances which still remains is the inability to flag equipment as junk. When I have collected, say five or six Hawkers or Zephyrs, I'll compare the items. The best item I'll keep, and the remainder I'll take to trade.

The problem is that there is no easy way to tell which item is which. With guns I'll unload all the guns I plan on selling, but with items like armor or crossbows, once they're in the inventory I need to painstakingly compare each item with all the others in their class to work out which one is the item I planned on keeping. When you're changing weapons in the middle of combat this can be particularly irritating to have to go through five crossbows to work out which was the one you wanted to use. My habit is to leave the first four or five inventory slots for the weapons I'm keeping, but that's only useful if you don't hit "sort".

My suggestion is a way of Flagging items so they don't appear in your inventory when it is filtered (eg if I selected "Weapons" on the filter, it would only show unflagged weapons).

Obviously this is hardly a game breaker, but it is a (relatively) simple solution to a (relatively) minor annoyance. Apologies if this has already been suggested and rejected for any reason.

Cheers,
Termy

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: A "Flag as Junk" button would solve some minor sorting irritations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:12:55 am »
In Update 34 we can read
In other news, I've taken the time to do some UI improvements. This is probably the definitive list of the UI changes as I have tons of other stuff to get done before we release the game so I hope I answered most of your complaints/suggestions:
so it's unlikely to happen.

But it's always good to discuss game design, isn't it?

I have a different idea, actually it's opposite to yours. I'd like to mark my items as 'precious' and be able to see them under separate filter. Or better - if i could use 'precious' filter together with existing filter, so I could see items that are both, for example, 'precious' and 'armor'.
But most importantly it could enable options like 'dump all not precious items to container'.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:13 am »
Both ideas have their merits, but I prefer hilts for one simple reason. junk is nearly everything, precious is only a few things you want to keep. Thus it takes much less time to just makr what you want to keep ranther than mark all you want to sell.

kasper747

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:08:46 pm »
'precious'

Termy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:32:32 pm »
Actually that is a far better idea.

I had read the devlog, so I didn't figure anything would come of a suggestion this late, but as you say it is always good to discuss game design.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »
It might, I mean adding something to allow you to flag an item should be pretty easy and fast to implement. All it needs is an option of right click to flag and pain a small colour on the corner of that item to leave it marked.