Author Topic: Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 released; Development Roadmap  (Read 25422 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 released; Development Roadmap
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »
Hey guys, the new version is available on Steam now and, as before, it will be available on other platforms as soon as we stabilize it.

In this update we added new factions with their optional questlines, namely - Free Drones, Protectorate and the super secret one. We added most of the remaining areas that we planned for the game, which include Upper Underrail and Lower Underrail passages, so speaking geographically most of the game is complete. If you want the full list of what's new, check out the previous two dev logs before reading further.

One thing to note, however, is that if you want to experience the new questlines you'll probably have to start a new game, unfortunately, since we had to make some changes to existing areas and quests in order to fit them in.

Before I insert the obligatory list of miscellaneous changes, here's a little sneak peak at some of the new areas, focusing primarily on the mighty Protectorate war machine.

Screenshot unworthy stuff:

• Bugs
    • Creatures immune to fear are no longer immune to Engrage (unless they are immune to all mind-affecting effects)
  • Tweaks
    • Eviscerate bonus damage per bleeding would changed to 50% (down from 100%)
    • Taste For Blood now stacks 10 times (down from 20)
    • Damage resistance provided by laminated fabric ballistic panel now scales with quality (though it's still weaker than the other one) and the damage threshold is increased; these changes will not apply to stuff that has already been generated in ongoing playthroughs
    • Melee resistance bonus of riot gear armor changed to 75% (up from 50%); also not retroactive
    • Maximum number of oddity XP required for leveling now caps at 25 (up from 15)
    • Maximum number of studies and/or amount of XP per studying reduced (or rebalanced) for a number of oddities; overall, less experience is available through some oddities now
    • Classic XP required to level changed to 1250 (up from 1000) * level
    • Base classic kill XP bonus per target level reduced
    • XP from a number of quests reduced
    • Lockpicking/hacking XP per required skill reduced

The leveling/XP changes introduced here are just the first step. I'll be tweaking leveling speed and level cap stuff further in the next update. From those that start a new playthrough with a new character in this version I would appreciate any feedback that they can provide on the leveling speed, time they hit level cap, and just general leveling experience (of both classical and oddity systems).

Now I want to talk a bit about the future development plans. I won't be giving you a release date, though I can safely say it won't be this year as I initially hoped. However, know that the end is in sight.
When it comes to mechanical stuff, there are still stuff like components, items, feats, abilities, etc to be added. However, there are currently no plans to add any more major mechanics (gas and fire should be the last). From the content side there are two parts of the main quest left that, as it happens, take part in two locations that are yet to be added - Institute of Tchort and Deep Caverns.

So here's what going to happen.

The next content update that we release will feature Institute of Tchort part of the main questline. This will be the last Early Access release. Afterwards, only the Deep Caverns are left before the game is complete. When we finish those, we will take extra time to polish up the game (we won't release Deep Caverns right away), especially the older areas which are no longer up to par with the new stuff. We will also take extra time to test the game to stomp out as many bugs as possible. Then we will release the game in full, make lots of money, retire to a tropical island and live happily ever after. That's the plan at least.

How long will this take? As long as it needs to. It would be pointless for me to give you a release date estimate, since I will gladly ignore it for the sake of the game as I did before. The quality of the game is my primary concern and in the long run that is best for everyone. We're nearing the end, though, so stay patient, dudes.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 released; Development Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:53:34 pm »
No level cap increase ):

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »
No level cap increase ):

I'll get to that in the next update. ;)

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:48:16 pm »
Cool! It's really good present for NY :D Thanks!
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »
XP reduced as a way to make people take longer to reach the level cap. Lockpicking rebalanced to acompany at the same rate as before with te level ups... I guess the only thing that is left to know is whether or not the dificulty of the quests and generaly speaking, enemies will be up to par since players will be reaching the same enemies as before in lower levels. Some testing will tell of course.

Meanwhile I'll take a look at whether an option is already available for merchants to buy everything or not. Not holding my breath of course since i don't really expect this implemented before a full release... Though it would be nice, would like to start playing again.

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »
Getting some definite Crusader No Remorse vibes from some of those screenshots.

Is the boxing ring a homage to Fallout 2? I hope we can go 12 rounds!

I've been holding off from playing very far into the game so far but this release looks like a solid candidate for a further playthrough.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:48:23 pm »

Actually i made the boxing ring without much thinking, later we realized that fallout had also a cool boxing ring. There are a lot of homages to fallout and other classic games, movies and Ips. :D

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:11 pm »

Actually i made the boxing ring without much thinking, later we realized that fallout had also a cool boxing ring. There are a lot of homages to fallout and other classic games, movies and Ips. :D

Just think... in several years time - if we're all still here - there may be references to that classic game... Underrail 8)

If the plan:
Then we will release the game in full, make lots of money, retire to a tropical island and live happily ever after. That's the plan at least.

Goes pear-shaped then always Underail 2 to think about ;)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:56:17 pm »
Stig, I'm totally support all your plans, and every your word!

Great update. and nice present on NY. Game looks better and better.

RonniDeWorm

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
Grats for the new release, and for the indiedb nomination!

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »
Grats for the new release, and for the indiedb nomination!

Thanks! I voted. )

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:21:00 am »
Could anyone please tell me where to go to access the new content? I have a new character in the works but I want to catch a glimpse now :P

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »
Could anyone please tell me where to go to access the new content? I have a new character in the works but I want to catch a glimpse now :P

If you want to explore the new areas - you can take the elevator in Core City to Upper Underrail or go lurking in the under-passages below Lower Underrail. As for the quest-lines, I'd rather not spoil anything for the players. :) You'll have an opportunity to gain access to them during the standard playthrough.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 01:33:10 pm »
If you ask yourself whats on the tables around upper Underrail.

sry if I forgot someone.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »
If you ask yourself whats on the tables around upper Underrail.

sry if I forgot someone.

Scratches head... WOT?