Author Topic: I'm experiencing the rare zone transition failure, on a regular basis  (Read 6831 times)

Alecz127

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
HOW TO STOP INDEXING SERVICE

For windows xp users:
To disable Indexing Service until computer restart follow these instructions, to disable permenently follow the first two steps of these instructions, then proceed to the second set of instructions below

1. run services.msc by clicking start, clicking "Run..."

2. type in "services.msc" and clicking "OK"

3. a window opens up, scroll through this list until you find "Indexing Service", click on this, click "Stop"

To disable Indexing Service from starting every time your computer gets turned on

1. at the "Services" window, right click on "Indexing Service", click "Properties"

2. at the "Indexing Service Properties" window, click on "Startup type", from the drop down menu click on "Disabled", then click "OK"

You will now be able to enjoy playing any time without having to follow these instructions again.

Original Post below
Hey folks! I just joined this awesome forum. I just bought the game, I did within 24 hours of seeing it for the first time, I'm a dev too and I know a beautiful game when I see one! Not disappointed at all, just annoyed by the issue I'm having : \

I think the core problem is that I use a windows XP, as I can't seem to troubleshoot anything else being the cause. Playing with no firewalls, or antivirus, ect. Using task manager to close out of all possible programs that may be interfering. But the issue persists. I'd love to have another person with an XP tell me they don't encounter this issue.

The issue:
When moving to a different map I get a "Zone transition failure" screen and it returns me to the main menu effectively removing any progress I made on that screen unless I saved. So the solution I have is to save a lot and to save right before moving to a new screen. But this is tedious and sometimes I forget as I become immersed in the game.

It doesnt matter whether the map I move to is new or already explored, whether I did anything on the map or just walked from one side to the other.

After the bug happens there is absolutely NO WAY for me to continue playing the game, because if I load a saved game and walk onto a different map I will then experience the bug 100% of the time no matter what save I load or what map area I try to move to. Even if I restart the game by exiting it and opening it back up I will continue to experience the bug 100% of the time. The only way I have found to reset this is to exit the game and wait about 10 minutes, then open it again. Upon opening the game after waiting about 10 minutes, everything seems to work again as it should. But I think you can understand how annoying it is to play the game for maybe half an hour to 20 minutes and get the bug and have to wait 10 minutes to play again.

I'm using steam to play it, if that matters. I'm also getting a bug where quicksaving fails working occasionally, if that might be related.

Is there any solution?
And what files would you like me to attach to my next post to help you find a solution for me if one is available?
Thank you so much for your time. I tried searching the internet and this forum for a solution, but I feel like I'm the only one in 2014 thats experiencing this the way I am.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:00:52 pm by Alecz127 »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: I'm experiencing the rare zone transition failure, on a regular basis
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:14:24 am »
Hmm, it definitely feels something is interfering with the temporary save or the autosave. Try turning the latter off in the options.

When you get a transitioning error, the game should generate TransitionError log in Documents\my games\Underrail. Post it here and I'll take a look.

Crekoo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:07 am »
I agree with epeli, something tampers with your autosave file. If nothing else works, and you don't afraid of some technical things, you can view which programs access a file with ProcessExplorer. Here is a very good step-by-step guide:

Outside link warning!

superuser.com/questions/399659/how-can-i-identify-what-application-is-using-a-given-file

At least it might give some clue. Hope it helps!

Prytification

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:50 pm »
Well, most of my transition errors I get when playing for more than an hour constantly are this type:

Code: [Select]
System.Exception: Failed to save game 'autosave'. Exception: System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'RC1 - Rail Crossing'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'RKL1 - Rathound King Lair'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'ForlornStations3 - South Gate Outposts'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'jy2 - Junkyard'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException

It's not that rare, just happens mostly if playing longer than an hour. I'm pretty sure this is on the list somewhere.

Sidenote for the forum admin: If you use alt-0149 to create a large dot as first character the whole post is not saved AFTER that character.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:29:31 pm by Prytification »

Crekoo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »
Well, most of my transition errors I get when playing for more than an hour constantly are this type:

System.Exception: Failed to save game 'autosave'. Exception: System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'RC1 - Rail Crossing'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'RKL1 - Rathound King Lair'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'ForlornStations3 - South Gate Outposts'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException
System.Exception: Failed to load locale 'jy2 - Junkyard'. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException

It's not that rare, just happens mostly if playing longer than an hour. I'm pretty sure this is on the list somewhere.

Sidenote for the forum admin: If you use alt-0149 to create a large dot as first character the whole post is not saved AFTER that character.

Hmm it looks like you don't have enough memory to handle it. Did you try to increase Windows pagefile size?
Also i'm not an expert in programming, but there is a way to increase the allocated memory for a process. Might ask some of the devs for further knowledge.

Alecz127

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »
I played for roughly an hour with no issues after

It works fine now!
TransitionError log for dev below if you still wanted it.

System.Exception: Failed to save game 'autosave'. Exception: System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tami\My Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\autosave' is denied.
   at System.IO.Directory.Move(String sourceDirName, String destDirName)
   at a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2) ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tami\My Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\autosave' is denied.
   at a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at btf.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
   at btf.a(Exception A_0, LogSeverity A_1, String A_2, Object[] A_3)
   at gi.b5(ace A_0)
   at t0.e(ace A_0)
   at ax0.b5(ace A_0)
   at t0.e(ace A_0)

Also small little bug but Halim in the electronics store in core city
you can ask him about a bunch of different stuff surrounding the city and the last option is "to talk about something else" but clicking this just ends the conversation rather then going back to the first set of dialogue choices.
Have a awesome day guys, Loving this game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:56:13 pm by Alecz127 »

Prytification

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »
Only an hour? Strange. What operating system are you running and how much RAM do you have?

If you have a 64-bit operating system and plenty of RAM (>4 GB), you can patch your Underrail.exe (or any other 32-bit exe) using this tool http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php to allow it to use up to 4 GB instead of 2 GB.

Thanks. I'll try that. I got Win 8.1 64bit, 8GB System RAM, so memory should not be an issue at all.

Alecz127

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:50:00 pm »
I did get the transition error again but it only happened once, after hours of playing.

System.Exception: Failed to save game 'autosave'. Exception: System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tami\My Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\autosave' is denied.
   at a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2) ---> System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tami\My Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\autosave' is denied.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at btf.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
   at btf.a(Exception A_0, LogSeverity A_1, String A_2, Object[] A_3)
   at gi.b5(ace A_0)
   at t0.e(ace A_0)
   at ax0.b5(ace A_0)
   at t0.e(ace A_0)