Author Topic: Dev Log #35: Portraits and Music  (Read 15083 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #35: Portraits and Music
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:27:55 am »
Hey guys. I've put the game mechanics aside for now and we're all focused on churning out content for the following update.

In this update we will be rounding up almost entire game world outside of Church of Tchort and Deep Caverns. Player will be able to learn more about the Protectorate and Free Drones and the conflict between them. Optionally, player can decide to throw in their lot with either the freedom loving partisans or the imperialistic lawbringers. There's also another secret faction offerring more opportunity for those observant enough.

In other news, I finally took the time to fill some long outstanding holes in the presentation department.

Firstly, I hired an artist to do the portraits. There's lots of them to be drawn so don't expect them all to be finished in the next update. In the screenshot above you can see the portraits are lit in the same manner as the characters on the map. I find that this adds to the atmosphere, but this can be disabled in the options for those who disagree. Players can also make their own custom portraits and the game will offer them on character creation if they have been placed in the appropriate folder and are of appropriate format.

Secondly, it was time to expand the musical repertoire. With only four tracks covering the numerous and diverse locations of Underrail, the music tended to get quite repetitive. As with the portraits, don't expect us to be able to cover the entire game with new music immediately. As as sample here's the music for the Foundry. Enjoy.

Finally, here's the obligatory list of minor stuff:

• Nice things
    • Enemies will now threaten and taunt you in combat. Currently all have the same collection of phrases, but we plan to customize these in the future for different characters/factions/locations. We'll be looking for feedback on these - do the taunts occur too frequently/rarely, is there some particular taunt that is repeated too often, etc. Of course, for those who don't like this sort of stuff, it can be disabled in the options.
  • Fixes
    • Electrobolts will no longer jump to passive objects that are completely immune to them (e.g. destructible rocks)
    • You can no longer load individual bullets during combat as stated by the tooltip
    • Removed various leathers that were way too high quality for their type from certain stores
    • Burst fire will no longer trigger hostilities against secondary targets caught in the burst cone unless they actually take damage
    • Arena commentator will no longer order everyone in Core City to kill you if you happen to aim your burst in his general direction
  • Tweaks
    • Crawlers buffed and their AI has been slightly tweaked

Let me know what you thought of the new stuff, guys. Cheers.

MetaSieg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #35: Portraits and Music
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »
Well first of all yay portraits. I like the new foundry music and I'm looking forward to seeing the Church of Tchort (someday I'll figure out how that's pronounced).

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
Very cool portraits, they really fit with the underrail theme and the lightning is also very cool gimmick.

You can no longer load individual bullets during combat as stated by the tooltip
Noooo :( why?
I actually liked that feature. Have you considered in just increasing the ap cost of the single loading over the normal reload?

Crawlers buffed and their AI has been slightly tweaked
They are very interesting creatures, though not very impressive in low numbers. What can we expect of them now?
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Frickin' awesome! Love the portraits. Have you considered having separate images for portrait and backdrop, so I could pick the head shot and pick broken bathroom tile or a trash can fire or a metal bulkhead behind it?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:51 pm »
Frickin' awesome! Love the portraits. Have you considered having separate images for portrait and backdrop, so I could pick the head shot and pick broken bathroom tile or a trash can fire or a metal bulkhead behind it?

The backdrops change depending on the area.

Looking forward to seeing some of the SGS faces, especially Ezra.

Ezra is watching you...

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:36:28 pm »
Will Faceless keep that default 'no face' placeholder? :)

Are there any plans to rework pickpocketing?

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Oh... Awesome!  :o I believe Underrail will be cult game like BG or Fallout.

Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing the Church of Tchort (someday I'll figure out how that's pronounced).

Well ;D something like that
t͡ɕˈɵrt
in International Phonetic Alphabe transcription.

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d08EMFNnEXY on 3 second, first word. ;D

Also - GREAT update. The far it goes, the better game looks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:27:22 pm by Fenix »

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:37:06 am »
Awesome stuff! The new portraits look great, I like the idea that the background and lighting changes depending on area, that's neat. :)

The music sample was really cool too. Looking forward to making a new character when the next update hits Steam. :)

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »
Been such a long time i havent played this game, been busy with my first full time job but i will be back. Until then good luck with the ubdates.

P.s i listened to the music and it is awesome.

RonniDeWorm

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:30:53 pm »
Looking (and sounding) good!

Crekoo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »
Lovely! Will it be possible to alter you character's portrait by using headgear and or different armor?

mwnn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:18:02 pm »
Looking (and sounding) great as usual.

It's outright criminal that the games true value is undersold.

From the character models I'm guessing there's going to be lots of human portraits with rebreathers/masks? =P

I can't wait to see a few creature portraits personally (i.e. radiated critters near the junkyard)

Wasteland 2 didn't get a great deal right unfortunately (for $3 mill++) but a few of the portraits are rather good at least =\
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:23:33 pm by mwnn »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:29 pm »
I hope Styg, you'll finish game before real war start...