Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 88202 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:18 am »
So... does anybody here play this awesome game? I was thinking of doing some succesion game - and maybe somebody would be interested?

My level is... average. I'm most certainly not a newbie - I can build a fort in most biomes, including moutains. Sadly aquafiers or undead are beyond my level of skill (getting butchered on start... or flooding the fort in the former case).

Any volunteers?

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
  • I just came here to read homestuck and honestly
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »
i would LOVE to do a succession game, but pray tell, what version of DF do you want to use?
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:41:02 am »
Well I'm using newest 34.11 version - with tiles, mind you. Of course it's not like I figured out the minecarts yet, but I get by. And some of the bugs were fixed, so it's pretty neat, certainly better than earlier ones.

It would be neat to try something like succesion game, waiting for new version to come out ;). With trees and stuff.

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »
cool, any plans on our games placement? or the rules to it? mods? stuff likes that?
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:42:16 am »
I'm not really a big fan of mods, but if you want we could try some. About the rules... One year = one turn? Does that seems okay? Also starting on some savage tile. Maybe mountains or badlands, to add to the challenge? With a world where is little to no metal? Any other ideas? :)

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47:45 am »
if we have no metal, then deons genisis mod would be great, it lets craftsdwarfs make swords from rocks and stuff. BTw deon is like the god of bay 12 modding.
Words, I don't know.

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:19:03 am »
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:26 am »
Yup, it's this game alright! The time devouring game...

I only saw the genesis mod by Deon on Blackworth videos, so I don't really know what it changes (and knowing him it'll change a lot). But it is a nice notion. But then again the learingin curve of a mod... ha.

I've already started a fort to check the conditions - savage world, little metal and fortress in the badlands. I found location with few types of metal (yup, these places do exist still) and began to dig. In year 5 I have like 180~ dwarves, about 20-30 graves (not much, right?), fully working fort. The metals are: galena (silver) and tetrahedryte (or sth like that - copper anyway). It's badlands so I can get a lot of food from herbalists and hunters, but not much wood. I already dug low enough to get magma, so it's not really  the problem - and because I have sand... glass traps for everybody! And glass cages. And glass coffins.

So it's possible. And if we're going to start the fort under Deon mod, then I'll need some time get it working and understand what is all about :).

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:14 am »
you mean glass doors to glass bedrooms with glass beds in a glass houses? (INCEPTION HORN)
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 06:19:52 am »
More like glass doors to glass graveyard with glass coffins, defended by glass traps... it's more like DF :D.

After I'll come back from work I'll start generating another world with 'little metal', 'very savage' and 'large'. Then I'll search for suitable spot in badlands... and play for a year. Gonna put the save here with the screenshot of my fort and introduction to what I have done.

Sounds about right.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »
Okay, so for now I've created the world. The settings are as follows:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2328/001rfus.jpg

Also, after generation I ended with Age of Myth and this kind of continent.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2877/002cst.jpg

Anybody wants to start, or should I begin the one year cadency?

JeffTheShark

• Zoner
    • View Profile
    • Something pretentious
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »
il start, but lets wait for a bit, see if anyone picks this up as well!

P.S. one last thing, do you want to do somthing special with this? like make a boat, or a fort entirely made above ground? or somthing like that?
Words, I don't know.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:11 am »
Okay, then I'll put my region file on mediafire when we'll be ready and leave the fort location to you :). I already found one interesting, as shown on the second screenshoot, but the decision lies on your side.

Hmmm... I wonder about that... the above ground fort sound fun. Especially in savage lands. Of course some things like magma forges, farms and few underground outposts need to be down there... but the rest of the infrastructure - why not?

Maybe also get a goal to build a fort spanning all starting 3x3 map. So we need to build watch towers, aqueduct and other stuff. And call it adequately in screenshots! It would get very interesting... and so much stone would be needed ;D. Other ideas?

edit: mistakes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:19:23 am by maheusz »

xmorg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:00 pm »
Hey all, I want to join too! :D

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »
Okay, since there are three guys already we can start. Maybe more people will join. For now the list goes:

Jeff
xmorg
maheusz

Each turn is one year. The world is: rare metal, very high savagery, large and other settings: medium.

Goal: To build a fort above the ground (outposts, mining and magma smelting below the ground allowed) and make it large enough to take most of starting 3x3 map. Also please write about everything you think was important or just hilarious. Screenshots showing the best stuff would be appreciated - also the ending one would be great.

Also one year is one turn, so when we're starting during spring and we end when 'spring arrives'. Even if in the middle of goblin siege.

To avoid save file problems please download Lazy Newb Pack with Phoebious tileset here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=2801&f=LazyNewbPack+%5B0.34.11%5D+%5BV15%5D.zip

and copy the world/save folder there. Clean install should let us avoid the worst stuff.

World save file is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a1l99wic3jhxbs0

So... we're waiting for your choice Jeff... and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

edit: Ah, also to avoid the lag problems please designate trash storage area (further on the line we can upgrade it to magma trash storage :D).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:17:07 pm by maheusz »