Author Topic: Running under Linux?  (Read 10472 times)

rogerdv

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Running under Linux?
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
Has somebody executed this game under Wine?

SgtFopper

• Probably not a Spambot
  • I love Steam and ... UnderRail!
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Running under Linux?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:22:42 am »
Has somebody executed this game under Wine?

I will give it a try as soon as my new HDD (3TB!!!) is arriving in the next days. :)

rogerdv

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:21 am »
I downloaded .net framework 4, but says I already have a more recent version installed. Then Underrail says I need one more recent than 4.0.3xxx. Ill google a bit more to see if I find the full installer for 4.5.

rogerdv

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »
Well, seems that running under wine falls into the It is not possible category. .net framework 4.5 refuses to install under wine and I wont spend more time googling for some version between 4.0.3 and 4.5.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:19 am »
.NET 4.0.30319 is what the game was built on. I think that's the SP1 for .NET 4.

Cantello

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
This probably applies to running UR on a Mac as well, right? Did someone successfully use wine to play Underrail?

( Tchey )

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:48 am »
Hello,

Some necro, to ask if someone managed to run it under Linux ?

I'm using Linux Mint 1.7 64bits and i tried to install it via PlayOnLinux/Steam/Underrail, like i do with some other games, but about Underrail, it's a failure. Nothing happens after downloading the game.

What about you ?

( Tchey )

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »
Hello,

I thought i manged to run it with Linux, and i was searching for how, but it seems my memory has flaws !

So, with the game coming out tomorrow, any chance ?

finduxs

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 04:37:23 pm »
Not using Linux myself, but saw this posted over at the GoG forums

Quote from: eidolies
A more clear summary of how it works ;)

As always, it's safer/cleaner to use a different prefix for each game. Also safer for your other games. So we'll install it on a new one by prefixing all your wine commands by WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_underrail for example. On 64bit systems, specify that you want to run wine in 32bit as 64bit will mess up .NET/XNA, with the WINEARCH variable.

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_underrail WINEARCH='win32' ; wineboot 'wine'
$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_underrail WINEARCH='win32' wine setup_underrail_2.0.0.2.exe

Accept to install the bundled .NET 4.0 runtime libraries as well as XNA (XNA might complain that it can't find .NET but it's okay). Before running it, install two components (or one of them might not be needed, maybe xvid? please let me know if you find out!) via winetricks for audio support, otherwise it will crash at the menu screen:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_underrail WINEARCH='win32' winetricks xvid allcodecs

And now run it:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_underrail WINEARCH='win32' wine underrail.exe

After the character creation, the game may eventually show a black screen. Force quit the game (^C in terminal), relaunch the game, choose to "resume last saved" (your autosaved game). A new conversation with an NPC will occur and will eventually show a black screen again. Do the same thing, force quit, relaunch, resume your autosaved game. You will now be able to start the game.

Known issues:
- Black screens occuring, they seem to be cutscenes (unconfirmed!) that Wine has difficulty to display (might be related to the fixme:wincodecs:PaletteImpl_InitializeFromBitmap (0x5f4c5a0,0x5f4c4f0,256,0): stub error). Maybe adjusting/installing xvid filters is needed, or maybe upgrading to a new version of xvid if available or wine.
- Unable to change to another area, level, screen (Error: Zone transition failed).
Workaround: on the title screen, click "Resume Last Saved".
- Unable to manually save (Error: Failed to save the game), wild guess: possibly because it fails to generate a thumbnail
Workaround: just continue as it did save the game correctly.
- Alt modifier key, as in other games, might not work (Alt+Click to automove an lootable item to your inventory may fail) possibly due to how Alt is used by the WM to move windows. Try changing it in your WM settings or via Xmodmap, or disabling the key.
- Mouse cursor might not follow the position of the WM's cursor. Try changing the game's screen usage (resolution). Full screen might also help, or/and try within the emulation of a virtual desktop (via winecfg, "Graphics" tab).

Hope this helps!

( Tchey )

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 07:47:14 pm »
An easy fix to the failed zone loading : disable auto saving in the game options.

You still have the error when you save, but it's harmless and the saves are fully... saved.